Hodaka Super Brumby

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
thirdstone

Hodaka Super Brumby

Post by thirdstone »

In an effort to compete against 250's and having way too much time on my hands I came up with this mod. In honor of the Hodaka trasition of using the names of Australian wild life my mate Jay and I came up with the Brumby, a wild horse of the Aussi outback. This is the Super Brumby who on its first outing shredded the bolts off the clutch such was its gusto. It still needs a bit of taming and is a work in progress but its a lot of fun to ride.

Kev

https://youtu.be/Yg7ZQPA2ZgA
Last edited by thirdstone on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dcooke007

Re: Hodaka Super Brumby

Post by dcooke007 »

Hey Kev,
The case induction is very cool and interesting. Please keep us up dated.

Danny
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Man that bike sounds good! How did you weld the intake in the case?
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I'm assuming you filled in the original intake tract to some extent. It certainly revs freely, very little throttle lag. Post a video of the bike in action. If you can get a clutch to hold.
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

The plate that the Reed manifold bolts on is TIG welded to the case halves.
The cylinder inlet tract is blocked up as obviously it's not required and it would be excessive volume.
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

A short videos of the first test day.
https://youtu.be/ww0zcACvcV4
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I think you're on to something, mate.
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Thanks for posting this....very cool idea. DG
oldmxracer

Post by oldmxracer »

Bike sounds great. What are you using for a pipe?
JayLael

Post by JayLael »

What a ripper! Might have you ship that engine to me, and I'll test it out for you ;)
I have been experimenting with different clutch stackup combinations, and various clutch cages. Recently I had my clutch work perfectly for an entire day of racing! This may not sound like much, but when it's being ridden with such vigor, and makes so much power, that is quite an accomplishment. I have learned enough about the subject that I could write a short book on it. That's how it goes when you have to learn everything the hard way.
My Brumby project is moving forward, ever so slowly. I hope to have some kind of working bike by Hodaka days 2016.
I've been racing the living hell out of the Wolverine, and doing pretty well. I managed third in the vintage support, expert class, at Washousagl on the national track, racing against 250 and open bikes. Passed a Honda CR 250 at the top of horsepower hill! The Wolverine pulled in fourth gear!!
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

Well if you didn't live on the other side of the world I would. I'm waiting for that book you are talking about !
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

oldmxracer wrote:Bike sounds great. What are you using for a pipe?
It's a Circle F pipe
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

1. I would like to see this engineering concept adapted to a 175 Hodaka with primary kick start.
2. You show a lot of initiative to have even dared to do this because failure would not be reversible and engine cases are getting harder to find.
3. If you get the clutch thing sorted, load some photos.
4. If you get more video footage, post it. It would be fun to see you head to head with a stock or modern day modified bike of the same vintage, to get a comparison.
5. Are you running a 97 cylinder? I didn't hear a lot of bogging on the upshifts, and have you modified the carb in any way?
6. Where in Australia are you? I have been there four times now, three on account of the ARB/Warn Outback Challenge in Broken Hill NSW, and have seen a bit of your world. Just curious.
thirdstone

Post by thirdstone »

Arizona Shorty wrote:1. I would like to see this engineering concept adapted to a 175 Hodaka with primary kick start.
2. You show a lot of initiative to have even dared to do this because failure would not be reversible and engine cases are getting harder to find.
3. If you get the clutch thing sorted, load some photos.
4. If you get more video footage, post it. It would be fun to see you head to head with a stock or modern day modified bike of the same vintage, to get a comparison.
5. Are you running a 97 cylinder? I didn't hear a lot of bogging on the upshifts, and have you modified the carb in any way?
6. Where in Australia are you? I have been there four times now, three on account of the ARB/Warn Outback Challenge in Broken Hill NSW, and have seen a bit of your world. Just curious.
Its a 97 cylinder and bottom end in wombat cases with PVL CDI. 34mm Mikuni with UFO and a vane each end. Its pretty stock as far as parts go. I wanted to start from that point so I could see what the case reed mod did alone. Of course there is some porting involved but the port timing is stock. It was pretty highly geared at 15 x 64, I plan to go bigger on the rear to perk it up a bit. The ratios even on the 97 gears fitted are quite wide being only a 5 speed. I have a 30mm Mikuni to try later as well ,to improve the bottom end a bit.

I`m in Sydney

Kev
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Mine is similar, except for the case induction. 32 Mikini three vanes front and back, UFO, 15x66 for track work, 16x66 for trails and open country with top end around 62 mph by GPS. On the track I was pulling corners in third gear, and it sounded like yours was right there. Difference, I use a wombat tranny with overdrive fifth wide ratio. Has a lot of legs.

Been to Sydney. Had great food and the most interesting cab ride I have ever had.