Dale

Re: Combat Wombat Mystery

Post by Dale »

Absolutely on all points!
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

“In the racing years we cut the slide ourselves. Just made it happen. ----- Clarence”

Question. Wouldn’t a 2.5 slide have a higher angled cut away than a 1.5? If so, I don’t see how you could “grind “ it, or cut a 2.5 slide to a 1.5. I’m guessing you could change the angle of the bottom of the slide, but. Wouldn’t that make the entire slide shorter and allow even more air thru the Venturi?

Are the slides for the flange mount older 28mm carbs the same diameter as the slides in the replacement 28mm? I may have a 1.5 slide for an older 28mm. I’ll have to measure the diameter. Let me know what size diameter the slide is for the newer 28mm carb.

I used a 26mm Toad/03 carb with my reeded Wombat Combat! Especially since Captain Ed stated the 26mm spigot carb moves fuel more efficiently than the 28mm flange mount. I jetted the carb to the 03 Wombat specs and this bike really moves! Great throttle response and it picks the wheel up in every gear!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Dale

Post by Dale »

The number of the slide indicates the amount of the cut. So no, there is no way to transform a 2.5 to a 1.5.
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

My learning curve must be going backwards. What is the amount of cut measured in? Could I transform a 1.5 slide into a 2.5 slide? In the day I only raced a ace90. It ran the best with a 1 and 3/16 inch AMAL monobloc carburetor probably off a 650 triumph. I did well in the IESRA, Inland Empire Sports Riders Association and the MSMRA Montana Sports Motorcycle Riders Association. To me the tuning was critical, especially between zero and 1/8 throttle and then 1/8 to 1/4. It was fun beating the big boys on the roads, trails and in the hills. Many came and bought a hodaka. I think it was turning about 12,000 RPM. ---------------- Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Cutting a 1.5 slide to make it a 2.0 or 2.5 is pretty easy. As mentioned, make a new mark at "X" distance above the highest point of the existing "cut-away". Then summon up all the old-world craftsmanship you can muster when using a large file to file away some material. Make sure that the point where the angle of the cut-away meets the horizontal bottom of the slide STAYS EXACTLY WHERE IT IS.

However, modifying a 2.5 slide into a 2.0 or 1.5 is considerably more problematic. I've "richened" slides by taking material off the bottom of the slide on the horizontal plane . . . then "restored" the angle of the "cut-away" to meet the new horizontal plane where it should. But this is NOT recommended because several other things get tweeked at the same time. The needle now drops lower - so you'll have to raise the needle just to get back to where your needle adustment was. Your throttle cable will need adjusting too. Annnnnnd, your idle speed is gonna go bonkers. So "richening" a slide is sort of, kind of, "do-able" . . . but it is not a good plan.

Vic, I think you are going to have to document what you are saying I said about 26mm spigot mount carbs vs. 28mm flange mount carbs. I don't think I said that (and I don't think it is true). With the possible exception of suggesting something along the lines of smaller carbs providing better mileage than larger carbs (and therefore offering higher "efficiency").
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Here is a simple diagram on how to file the slide to increase the cut-away. This is from a Hodaka "Hot Tip". The cut-away, on Mikuni carbs is determined by the millimeters it extends up from the bottom of the slide, ie. a 2.0 slide would be 2 mm's.
Attachments
carb.jpg