Metallic sound

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
S.M.

Metallic sound

Post by S.M. »

https://youtu.be/yZUxmSHyfU0?si=WVJd_htknw0S-P8y
Hi.
I would like to know expert's opinion about this metallic sound coming from the motor?..... piston issues?
Thanks in advance.
socalhodaka

Re: Metallic sound

Post by socalhodaka »

How long have you owned this bike? I asked because I see the oil injection is off, how long has it been off? Just tossing out the first thing I saw. I believe that is a 03 125 Wombat engine, not know the bike it could possibly be a 100 Road Toad. But I thinks its a Wombat.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I'll have to get to a better location than the beach I'm on right now to listen to your engine. Well, better for listening ennnnneywayeeeee.

But that appears to be the Forvel with model 03 engine being discussed over on Facebook. If that is so . . . and IF the oil injection has indeed been disabled . . . THEN it is quite likely that the main bearing on the magneto side has died due to inadequate lubrication.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

I'm afraid to attempt diagnosis by long distance with recorded video/audio. But I am sure of the following: If it were my bike, I wouldn't run the engine ANY more. It desperately needs to have the top end pulled off for inspection/diagnosis by an experienced vintage two-stroke mechanic/ tuner. Based on some of the questions posed by the original poster (S.M.?), home diagnosis and repair may be beyond your current skill set. NOTE: It is clear the oil injection system has been disabled, and that alone may be the root cause of the internal nasty sounds from poorly lubed parts. Not good news . . . but you know more about the situation than you did yesterday . . . and folks in this group are always willing to help a Hodaka owner.
Ed
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

socalhodaka wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:03 pm How long have you owned this bike? I asked because I see the oil injection is off, how long has it been off? Just tossing out the first thing I saw. I believe that is a 03 125 Wombat engine, not know the bike it could possibly be a 100 Road Toad. But I thinks its a Wombat.
Yes its is a wombat 03....dont know how long the oil injection was disable.....😔
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

Bullfrog wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:08 pm I'll have to get to a better location than the beach I'm on right now to listen to your engine. Well, better for listening ennnnneywayeeeee.

But that appears to be the Forvel with model 03 engine being discussed over on Facebook. If that is so . . . and IF the oil injection has indeed been disabled . . . THEN it is quite likely that the main bearing on the magneto side has died due to inadequate lubrication.
Ed
I believe so......can it be manual lubrificated with some oil drops sometimes?
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

Bullfrog wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:24 pm I'm afraid to attempt diagnosis by long distance with recorded video/audio. But I am sure of the following: If it were my bike, I wouldn't run the engine ANY more. It desperately needs to have the top end pulled off for inspection/diagnosis by an experienced vintage two-stroke mechanic/ tuner. Based on some of the questions posed by the original poster (S.M.?), home diagnosis and repair may be beyond your current skill set. NOTE: It is clear the oil injection system has been disabled, and that alone may be the root cause of the internal nasty sounds from poorly lubed parts. Not good news . . . but you know more about the situation than you did yesterday . . . and folks in this group are always willing to help a Hodaka owner.
Ed
Thank you so much.
The bike will not run untill inspection/repair
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

On the manual lubrication with oil drops sometimes concept . . . No. Nope. Not a good idea. Did I mention, No?(!)
Ed
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

I dont trust on the autolube system to mix on the fuel.....but i can work with it on the main bearing lubrification
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

S.M. wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:37 pm I dont trust on the autolube system to mix on the fuel.....but i can work with it on the main bearing lubrification

I’ve been running my 03 with injection for years, with many rides under our belt. The only way to not run the injection on the 03 Wombat is to split the cases, modify the left inner case by drilling an oil hole for the main bearing.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

IMG_0955.jpeg
Photo by Danny Cooke
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

socalhodaka wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:49 am IMG_0955.jpeg
Photo by Danny Cooke
Wow.....thank you so much for the tip.
Is there more info about the hole?....diameter?....angle of drill?
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

IMG_0963.jpeg
I think about a 1/8. Here’s a photo from the FB group.
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

socalhodaka wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:43 pm IMG_0963.jpegI think about a 1/8. Here’s a photo from the FB group.
Thank you so much