Replace Ace 90 forks

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hodakajohn

Replace Ace 90 forks

Post by Hodakajohn »

I have an ace 90 I’m in the process of restoring. I would like to upgrade the forks to something better than stock. Any help would be appreciated. Is it possible to upgrade to something like what was on the dirt squirt?
Thanks
dirty_rat

Re: Replace Ace 90 forks

Post by dirty_rat »

It is a very easy update, but you have to get the entire fork, triple clamps assembly. The triple clamps from the later bikes (up to the model 02 Road Toad) will bolt right on and they will accept the 30mm forks like on the Ace 100 B+ up through the 02 Road Toad. I'm not sure if the Ace 90 wheel/hub will fox the 30mm forks, but you can always use a later model wheel assembly. If a new fork and wheel are used, then you would have to replace the front fender.
Your next obstacle is now the bike will look (and handle) like a chopper. The later model forks are longer than the Ace 90 forks, so will look like extended forks. To level out the bike you will have to get longer shocks (and possible a later model swing arm and larger rear wheel).
Once all that is done, it won't really look like an Ace 90 any longer ( when you say restore, I'm guessing you aren't referring to making it look like original, as the fork trade would not accomplish that.)
So yes, it's possible, but one change causes other things needing to be changed to keep the bike working properly. A second avenue to check would be to see if you can find a set of later model 27mm forks from another brand of bike (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki 27mm forks and 17" wheel assembly, etc.) or something aftermarket like a set of leading link forks or Ceriani forks.