Neutral switch

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
S.M.

Neutral switch

Post by S.M. »

Hi.
Does anyone have a photo of the neutral switch installed in the respective location?Wombat 03
Thanks a lot
dirty_rat

Re: Neutral switch

Post by dirty_rat »

I have an old crusty 03 Wombat shifter case. Let me dig it out, pull the back cover off and snap a couple of photos. It might take a couple of days to get to it if that's okay.
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

dirty_rat wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:45 am I have an old crusty 03 Wombat shifter case. Let me dig it out, pull the back cover off and snap a couple of photos. It might take a couple of days to get to it if that's okay.
Thanks you so much....i will wait for that.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Here are the photos of the shifter case and the neutral switch.
Photos 1 -4 show the switch in the case and the orientation of the parts. Note that the bent end of the switch contact faces up as you look into the case and the bent tang is away from the ratchet gear.
Photo 5 shows the ratchet gear with a small ball that will contact the switch when the shifter is in neutral.
Photos 6 & 7 show the orientation of the switch, the ratchet gear with the ball in neutral.
Photo 8 shows the switch parts out of the case.

I'm not sure how it works other than the switch must just ground out when in neutral (tang contacts the small ball) and that turns the neutral light on.

Let me know if you need any more photos, etc.

David Barr
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

dirty_rat wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:59 pm Here are the photos of the shifter case and the neutral switch.
Photos 1 -4 show the switch in the case and the orientation of the parts. Note that the bent end of the switch contact faces up as you look into the case and the bent tang is away from the ratchet gear.
Photo 5 shows the ratchet gear with a small ball that will contact the switch when the shifter is in neutral.
Photos 6 & 7 show the orientation of the switch, the ratchet gear with the ball in neutral.
Photo 8 shows the switch parts out of the case.

I'm not sure how it works other than the switch must just ground out when in neutral (tang contacts the small ball) and that turns the neutral light on.

Let me know if you need any more photos, etc.

David Barr
Thanks you so much Dirty_Rat 🙏.....this switch is only a piece of metal to receive the ground contact from the foot change shaft PIN? 😲.....quiet basic!!.....i was thinking about a microswitch or something.... 🤔
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I was thinking the same thing until I pulled it apart. This does make sense as there was only one wire going to it. An on-off switch would have required two wires, but just a ground wire to complete the circuit only requires one.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

The wire provides a connection to the lamp. The screws provide a ground to the case. Then a blue wire provides a ground for the lamp at the bulb socket. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90