combat wombat barn find

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

Re: combat wombat barn find

Post by givergas »

Well it could be wrong . But I'm putting the condenser under the tank .I think I got it right. Wires soldier together and will plug into the condenser along with kill switch up there....albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Albert. I use a 3 way bullet connector at the ignition coil connection. 1 for the black wire from the stator, 2 for the condenser & 3 for the kill switch connection. 3 male bullets on everything which connects and a 3 way female bullet in the black wire from the ignition coil! Here’s a Super Rat I did! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
IMG_1561.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Usually there are two wires coming from the stator, one is a ground wire (usually blue) that is attached to the stator frame (ground) and attaches to the ground of the ignition coil under the tank. The second wire (usually black)is the power wire. It comes from the exciter coil and goes to the points and condenser (either mounted to the stator or mounted under the tank) and then to the ignition coil. The condenser can be attached anywhere along the power wire, but its case has to be grounded (to either the stator frame or the ignition coil ground (its metal frame).
givergas

Post by givergas »

so lets see , you take the wire from the Exiting coil solder it to the points wire run them up and plug into the condenser. pig tail from condenser wire plugs into kill switch then that all gets plugged into the ignition coil then other lead from kill switch gets grounded and i should change out the blue wire for black . sorry i know its not this hard ....albert
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

You don't need to change wire colors as long as you remember what each one does/is for. It just helps if someone else is working on the bike.
givergas

Post by givergas »

well im not trying to make things difficult but if all goes right the only people working on this bike are going to be me or my grandson , and im on a 20 year plan after that its going to be his project ....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

burned the pipe out and found some holes , i will try and fix it before i find a expert ....albert
Attachments
combat 11.jpg
givergas

Post by givergas »

progress . fly wheel will be done early next week , my guy thought he had more time, he's to busy . carb is on all , front brake , throttle and clutch cables on . tank and seat ready to go . number plates i have the front one on , have to make a bracket for the rear ones . been thinking of a number for it thought Mabey 73 then how about 95 then i was going to ask mr hammerbeck what his number was when he raced back in the day since he was the first person to handle this bike when it came from the factory . then the grandson came up with { how about Daves number } dave was my brother in law who died 10 years or so ago and raced as a young man then got into vintage racing . so i thought that coming from the grandson it would be a good idea so 26 it is . pipe fixing is coming along, grips , kill switch on . seemed like a productive couple of days...... albert
Attachments
combat 5.jpg
combat 6.jpg
combat 4.jpg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

She’s getting there! You’re doing a great job!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

took apart the wiring and put a black and blue wires from magneto up to under the tank . i feel better about the way it set up . chain on, air cleaner on , pipe is getting some paint , need a few more things . a new spark plug cap for one and the fly wheel im going to take a can of gas over to the welders house and see if i can motivate him . moving forward ...albert
Attachments
combat relocation.jpg
combat wombat.jpg
combat relocation 1.jpg
givergas

Post by givergas »

Fly wheel is back yahoo.
Attachments
20240321_114308.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Yer good to go with the flywheel welds. Vroom, vroom.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
givergas

Post by givergas »

its got spark first time in around 25 years big moment in its life . tomorrow fuel lines , oil in transmission , and check to see if the kill switch works and i think we will have time to see if it wants to start . there is a few more things to do mostly cosmetic , but I'm anxious to see where it stands . oh and the pipe repair came out acceptable
Attachments
combat 8.jpg
combat 7.jpg
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

INVU. Clarence
Dale

Post by Dale »

Fun ahead Albert!
Dale
givergas

Post by givergas »

after sitting covered up with a canvas tarp over it with a screwed up clutch and a faulty fly wheel for the past 25 years or so it showed it appreciation by starting on the 3rd kick and running very well indeed . clutch feels great , shifts like it should . starts very easy . carb leaks a little and i think i will break down and by the rear number plate bracket . have a new fuel filter coming so will redo the gas lines. all in all very happy with it. i want to express my gratitude for all the help along the way. was thinking that with out the support group that is behind these bikes it would be a very different story . in stead of a couple of months who knows when or if it would of got done. can hardly wait for the weather to warm up ....albert
Attachments
combat wombat 15.jpg
combat wombat 14.jpg
combat wombat 13.jpg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

She’s looking great Albert! Sounds like you’re gonna have a lot of fun!!! :ugeek: Victor!

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

so my carb leak was with the gasket on the bowl . as you can see by the photo i believe the gasket was not full , ? , enough in the corners to acutely make a seal. i took the carb off and checked it all out put it back on still leaked so off again and saw that the filter was suspect so i painstakingly made a nother gasket to fit in a way to cover the corners more all the way out to the edge of the bowl of course i didn't take any pictures , but it seems to of stopped the leak . i did fill the carb up with gas and let it sit for a couple of hour before reinstalling it to make sure it didn't still leak. this was a new gasket and as always it very well could of been user error on my part ....albert
Attachments
combat carb.jpg
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Are you riding it yet? ---- Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

Yes took it for a ride around the yard and runs great, shifts in all gears , grandson rode it and passed his inspection , then the next day we got about a foot of snow and I'm waiting for it to totally disappear and warm up a little so I won't get it dirty 😀...albert