On it's way. Clarence
givergas

Re: combat wombat barn find

Post by givergas »

wow thats great. i will take care of my part of the deal today ....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

its all of the above problems . fly wheel must of came loose and wobbled and rubbed on the coils . some of the screws are even bent . im glad this came up now . i got the motor split this morning and no surprises the Kick roller retainer looks good even. no parts where they not suppose to be...... albert
Attachments
combat wombat magnito 1.jpg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Do you need a stator? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

i will see if this one cleans up and let you know but if you have one that is in good shape that would be good . i will PM YOU . on a side note i bought a bunch of parts off a gentleman a couple of years ago have a combat wombat motor, of course no fly wheel or magneto assembly but i have a cylinder that was bored out with the piston , wrist pin and ring and two heads . still just cleaning parts up to see what's going to get ordered ..... ALBERT
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

You can use Wombat stators as well. 😉 Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

clutch kinda looks screwed up to i think i might be at the end of the problems
Attachments
combat wombat  clutch 3.jpg
combat wombat clutch 2.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Oh my! I don't think I've ever seen a clutch as knackered as that one. Um don't even think about filing the clutch cage to re-use it - that one is gone.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Albert my part is guaranteed to fit. If I sent you the wrong one, I will get you the right one. Wow your book came today, you sure wrapper it well. You are going to hodaka days this year I hope. ------ Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

the book is to while away the time as you sit by the fire on those cold Montana nights . as far as hodaka days i will be in idaho 2 times this year and each time is not even close to that time dont know if i can sneak another trip in or not lot of moving parts for me this year .......albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

hey clarence just checked the mail box your parts here mailman must of came late . will check it out ....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

so here's the fly wheel that Clarence sent its a fine one to , clean brand new in fact . the one with blue tape is my original one ., but it has the same model number and it has a 2F production number on it that is in the replace category. question. #1, do i run it as is ? #2 get it welded as in the service bulletin as its fairly certain its not out of round? #3 send it back and ask if he has another one ?. no mater what Clarence i will cover all costs to you no problem im very glad to have your help ...albert
Attachments
combat wombat fly wheel.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Weld it now, per the Service Bulletin - and you'll be good to go.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Is it the correct shaft size? To me your balance holes are in the wrong spot but what do I know about it? To me the lobe is the heavy side and the majority of the balance would be on the opposite side like the one I sent you. Regardless it is guaranteed to fit or be correct. What does out experts think? I will look look to see if I have a correct one. I like reading your book! Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

I will weld it thanks Ed your input is very much appreciated. I know a great welder. Clarence that is now your book I don't want it back, I thank you again Clarence..albert
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Now that combat has been ridden hard, I also have never seen a clutch that used. I am wrong about the balance holes, some of my other flywheels have them in different places and one doesn't have any of the bigger balance holes, just three small ones and marked with a 2L?? Learn learn learn, and forget and forget. Great book! Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

parts are here , fly wheel at welders , most all parts cleaned up , clutch is back together from parts that i had that were in my stash . need to figure out what to do with the side casings they need some attention . will need one more order of parts before its all done but progressing on ward ...albert
Attachments
combat parts.jpg
givergas

Post by givergas »

so thought id get this motor back together today . got my space cleaned up everything in order . figured i would put the new springs on the control shaft . who was the engineer that thought putting that little snap ring on the end of the shaft was a good idea? any way ive had a idea in mind so today i worked on it .how to make a Control shaft snap ring tool when you dont have a lathe ? found a nail that has the same or larger dia. as the control shaft and i had a piece of 7/16 rod . cut the head off of the nail and put it in my cordless drill and with the grinder put a taper on the nail then put a concave end on the part that lines up with the shaft with a dremel so that its almost seam less so the clip can slide off . then cut off about 1 inch of the 7/16 rod and drilled a hole through it so the nail will slide through . so put the snap ring on the nail very close to the end then slide the drilled rod down to it put a socket on to help push with and lined it all up and" bobs your uncle " snap ring in place .not very pretty but it worked but ran out of time and did not get the engine together tomorrows another day ...albert
Attachments
combat shift 3.jpg
combat shift 2.jpg
20240303_150239combat shift 1.jpg
20240303_152645combat shift.jpg
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Great work. A garage made tool that does exactly what is needed.
givergas

Post by givergas »

Red green.. if they don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy
givergas

Post by givergas »

found time to put some parts together today...albert
Attachments
combat motor 2.jpg
combat motor.jpg
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Albert you kinda over paid me. Let me know your engine piston ring size and I will send you a free spare ring. Remember the the groove's on the clutch pinion bushing that go off of the edge, that end goes toward the engine. Your pinion bushing looked really bad, The clutch nut was loose I think, If the clutch pinion gear and the clutch roto gear do not lock in together really tight, it seems to let the clutch nut loosen up. Man you are sure doing a super job on your combat! ---------- Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

i didn't over pay i factored in inflation you getting off of your chair , walking around and finding that fly wheel , getting a box and tape , looking for my address , going or talking some one into going to the post office , our post office is very low key dont know about yours so not a big deal there , then driving home so no i didn't over pay . i just really appreciate your generosity . so were even . i got the better of the deal i think ....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

engine is waiting for fly wheel ,got to bug my welder, few other things done . moving along ...albert
Attachments
combat motor 6.jpg
combat motor 5.jpg
combat motor 4.jpg
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

On the photo of the ignition side of your engine, I only see one blue wire coming out of the ignition assembly. There should be a blue wire (ground) and a black wire (power wire from points). Maybe just not visible in the photo.