Engine Crossover Parts?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
NicBerlin

Engine Crossover Parts?

Post by NicBerlin »

Hello! My first time posting here so thanks you everyone for making this community.

As my title suggests, I was wondering if anyone here has compiled a way of cross referencing crossover parts between models of engines for Hodaka.

Specifically in my case I’m in the reworks of rebuilding 2 Ace 100,’s for a pair of 92B+’s each had their own problems, so are unique and have challenges ahead specifically with finding engine parts.

I of course would like to support the guys at Hodaka-parts if they have what I need available, but also will probably need to look into 3rd party sales and thus having an Idea of “what works with what” would be greatly helpful.

(I work in the warbird aircraft restoration business so I’m well accustomed to finding hard to find parts in unique ways.)

Thank you all for your input and expertise!

Nic
Attachments
IMG_4141.jpeg
Dale

Re: Engine Crossover Parts?

Post by Dale »

A parts compatibility list exists. I believe club member Bill Chapman compiled it, but not positive on that. The web pages where it used to live are no longer available but a google search found it on Bruce Young's Hodaka Parts Idaho web site. Here is a link. You can download it from there.
The Hodaka parts numbers typically start with the model number in which that part was introduced.
Hope this helps and welcome!

https://view.officeapps.live.com/op/vie ... BROWSELINK
Dale
NicBerlin

Post by NicBerlin »

Thanks Dale! Bill if you come across this thread please let us know if you have input for this question?
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

All of the early (iron cylinder) 100 engines were pretty much the same. There were differences from the Ace 100 models to the Super Rat models, but most parts could be interchanged throughout the early engines. The transmission for the Ace 100's and the model 93, 93A and 93B Super Rat's were the same, with only the clutch and primary gears being different. The model 96 Dirt Squirt, having what appears to be an Ace 100 engine, was actually quite different (different transmission gears - same as a Combat Wombat, and different primary gears), but the parts are still interchangable as long as done as a set.
So, if you are looking to change out components, ask here and I'm sure someone can tell you if it's feasible or not.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Hodaka published a lime fire green parts usage book in July of 1972. I covered what part was used on which motorcycle, it including the complete bike even the nuts and bolts. It covered Ace 90 and the , ace 91 racing parts, Ace 100 model 92, ace 100B model 92A, and Ace 100B model 92B. It also covered the super rats model 93 and 93A. Ace 90 racing parts worked so well they used them to make the super rat. I use the parts usage book often, no pictures just part numbers Clarence
NicBerlin

Post by NicBerlin »

OK, so my next question is regarding engine cases.

My Frame & engine S/N's:
1971 AUG A-64026/P57248
1971 NOV A-57533/P57533

I believe I ID'd the bike incorrectly and believe they are actually 92B's and NOT 92B+. I've come to understand that the engines have variations between the two, specifically in the deck size.

I originally went by the previous owner's own ID and confirmed (92B+) from the https://hodakapartsidaho.com/ site, which has some great data including production #'s per year and breakdowns, but I chatted with Scott H. who turned me on to the Hodaka-Parts.com own parts ID page says it's a 92B.

So what's your guys take? Which is right?
Dale

Post by Dale »

I haven't looked at the records, but there were several changes that came about with the B+ that provide a good idea.

The B+ had a resettable odometer. It also had a 6 bolt cushioned hub as opposed to the 4 bolt non-cushioned hub on the B.
The B+ all had a high front fender although, the later B's also had a high fender. Same with the exhaust pipe. B+ had a flame thrower but some later B's did also.

Check the odometer and hub and you will have a good idea.

These videos provide great info on the model differences.
http://hodaka-parts.com/sub-category.as ... 9&cID=1954
Dale
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

The engine deck size change was the result of Hodaka changing it so the cases could also be used on the 125's they were developing (while cases from a 100 couldn't be used for a 125 as is; the case blanks before machining were the same and depending on how machined were used for the 100's or 125's). So, even if you have small deck or large deck engine cases, the rest of the engine would be the same . The thing you can't mix and match would be different engine cases, ie: small deck half with large deck half.
If you post a photo of your engine cases we can tell you if it is a small deck or large deck.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Here is a photo of the two types of engine cases, the small deck and the large deck. Other than the size of the deck, the rest of the cases were the same. As mentioned, the change was made so the same engine blanks could be used for either a 100 or a 125, depending on how the finish machining was done. If you look at the large deck cases, you can see where the cylinder studs could be placed much farther out than the ones done for the 100's.
Attachments
DSC_8860.JPG
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

All ace 100 B's model 92B started with frame number 51013, they had the high front fender, flame thrower exhaust pipe, cushion hub and bigger speedometer. I believe the add department later called it a b+ and some dealers followed suit so it could be called a B+ ?? The official B+started with frame number 67613 not many official B+'s were made and none of the part numbers show up in any price lists. The video is in error it starts out covering a model 92A not a 92B. It would not make any difference on any trail but I firmly believe a museum piece should be correct. -----Clarence