ODD Ball ??

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Chasrolex6

ODD Ball ??

Post by Chasrolex6 »

Hello, newer guy here, many bikes , but have not joined here until recently, I need “ideas of what I’ve got here” please, I remember this bike from Dirt Bike magazine when I was a young guy in the 1980’s. This bike belonged to Rick Sieman who was the founder and editor of Dirt Bike Magazine. Rick featured the bike as a “build a budget racer” at home type of deal. This bike was featured over four editions of the magazine starting in late 1989. Im working on getting the engine number in the morning. The forks have been changed out ,from a Suzuki as the articles state.. let me know what you think , I would love to bring it back in all its glory. Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_1097.jpeg
IMG_1102.jpeg
IMG_1093.jpeg
IMG_1092.jpeg
IMG_1106.jpeg
IMG_1095.jpeg
IMG_1094.jpeg
IMG_1103.jpeg
IMG_1097.jpeg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: ODD Ball ??

Post by Bullfrog »

It looks like a mostly stock Combat Wombat (Frame number indicates Combat Wombat) which has had the frame painted red. Hubs and rims look stock. Ditto for the pipe except for the silencer. Cylinder is alloy with seven fins, so it is a 125. Appears to still be piston port . . . so Combat Wombat. Has a spigot mount carb adapter with plugged oil injection hole which looks pretty Hodaka-ish. Not sure about the carb size on the machine - stock was a 28mm flange mount unit. Has a funky kick stand bracket. Those fork sliders look stock to me . . . they look like chromed steel (don't the Suzuki 30mm forks from that era have alloy sliders?) The bike needs a better air cleaner set up to flow air more easily. The seat looks like a good one. Yup, looks to me like you have a mostly stock Combat Wombat which should be a good "rider".
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Looks like you also have another interesting bike from the 1960's in the garage to keep the Hodaka company.

Couldn't get a good look at it, but the shock on the left side looks to have cooling fins on the bottom.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Looks like a Honda Benly to me. 1965-ish? 150cc . . . or 305??
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!