Road Toad 02 Brake Question..

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
kurtpenn

Road Toad 02 Brake Question..

Post by kurtpenn »

I've rebuilt my Road Toad and everything seems to be working good, expect for the rear brake. My rear brake isn't engaging enough to stop the wheel. The rear brake worked fine before disassembly, so I'm wondering if I reassembled something incorrectly. The front seems to operate fine, just not the rear. My concerns: Is it possible to mix the front and rear brake shoes?... maybe I have the front shoes in the rear brake and vice-versa? Can the brake cams be swapped?... or are the shoes and cam unique to each drum and there is no way to accidently assemble them to the wrong drum?

Currently the rear brake pedal never engages to a stop point. I could essentially push the brake pedal until if flips the cam and then I have to manually pull the cam lever back to it's proper location. I've tried adjusting the rear brake lever on the cam spline, but I never get enough engagement... the cam can flip clear over. This is why I'm asking if I could have accidently swapped internal rear and front parts.

I'm trying to avoid disassembling both brake drums, unless I know parts could have been swapped. If swapping components is not possible, I'll order new rear drum shoes and probably a new rear cam.

Thanks,
Kurt
taber hodaka

Re: Road Toad 02 Brake Question..

Post by taber hodaka »

I think you need new rear brake shoes, sounds like they are too worn. ------ Clarence
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I don't have a conical front hub to check, so I can't tell you if you can mix the parts. They do have different part numbers. If they were working fine before, I would say either parts were mixed up or something didn't go together right. I would take them apart and check fit as I re-assembled.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Pics???

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt