"HODAKA" cover shifting adjustment

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

"HODAKA" cover shifting adjustment

Post by matt glascock »

When adjusting the Hodaka shifting mechanism, I favor the trial and error method. Its a little fiddly, but stealing Hodaka Dave's filed down wrench idea was the key. I'd like to learn more about the measurement method. It might be nice to make the adjustments with the case on the bench rather than on the bike. For purposes of this discussion, I'm specifically referring to mounting a "HODAKA" cover on a B+. With that said, I have two questions.

!) Is the measurement value the same when mounting the 1 down 4 up cover on an ACE?

2) Would someone with mad scientist-level computer skills provide an illustration showing exactly the two points between which the measurement is to be taken? I want to be sure I'm interpreting the information in the Workshop Manual correctly.

Thanks fellas.
dirty_rat

Re: "HODAKA" cover shifting adjustment

Post by dirty_rat »

As far as question #1, YES they should be the same. Other than the direction that the shifter lever moves, the internal parts should move the shifter arm the same distances and direction.
As far as question #2, that's above my pay grade.
If you have some damaged engine cases available and a few other spare parts, you can also make a workbench shifter adjuster. I will take some photos of one I made and post later.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=846&p=4073#p4073
Click on link and adjustment procedure is near bottom of ost.

Danny
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Matt,
Here are some photos of the shifter case adjustment tester I use. It is made using old, damaged parts. Basically, it is just a set of damaged cases that a worn countershaft (with the shifter springs and ball receiver installed) is mounted into. A large window is cut into the cases so you can see the ball receiver as it moves from position to position in the countershaft, as you shift with your attached shifter cover. You can then adjust the case to get everything lining up properly.
Attachments
DSC_8805.JPG
DSC_8806.JPG
DSC_8808.JPG
DSC_8810.JPG
DSC_8811.JPG
DSC_8819.JPG
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I use the same process and some times mark the control shift. I like marking the control shaft takes guessing off the table. But I have used trial and error in the field. ---- Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I’ve gotten used to sighting in where the end of the shifter pin sits in proximity to the edge of the inspection window. I inspected several of my functional cases and got a pretty good idea where that is.

Now, I just check the location of the pin on each shifter and visually set it where my eyesight says is where it should be. Works every time for me! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey fellas, I just got back fromm vacation and found all this great information. Ill take it all to the shop and get to work. Thanks to all!!!