Ignition troubles

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
swamprat

Ignition troubles

Post by swamprat »

Hello everyone, new member and first post here! I am currently restoring my model 98 Super Rat. I finally put the engine back together and in the frame and go to kick it over and it has no spark. This bike has been sitting in boxes for over 20 years and I assume the CDI unit is dead. Is there a way to test the whole ignition system with a multimeter to determine what component is faulty or would it be better to install some type of aftermarket ignition instead? I don't think the original components are still available. Which aftermarket systems would be recommended?
dirty_rat

Re: Ignition troubles

Post by dirty_rat »

Unless the unit was faulty 20 years ago when pt in the box, then it should still be okay, these units were pretty reliable. I would start by checking all the wires to make sure there were no breaks or shorts anywhere. Also make sure all the correct connections are made. Verify that you have good ground connections where needed (I often run separate ground wires from the stator to the coil and to the head). Lastly, make sure the kill switch is wired properly and not shorting out.
As far as test for the system, I'm sure there are some, I just don't know them. If you google "Kokusan Denso CDI test" quite a few pages will come up.
Lastly, there are other systems available, such as the PVL units. I believe a couple other systems are available, possible from Vape or HPI. Check with hodaka-parts.com and see what they have.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Check that the plug is good, check that the coil and coil wire are good. Check the wiring, check the kill switch. Make sure there are good grounding point all around.
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

I would like to agree with the other two answers that ground connections are very important. If you painted the frame you may have to remove paint from the motor mount areas, and the mounting tab for the top coil. If you run separate ground wires to connect all the components, removing the paint isn't necessary.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
swamprat

Post by swamprat »

Thanks for the replies on this issue guys! All my wiring seems to be good and I even ran separate ground wires connecting all components together, brand new spark plug too. Still no spark. I went ahead and ordered the Vape system for it as it appears to be a direct bolt on with no modifications required. They have two options: a DC version for bikes with batteries and an AC version for bikes without. Should have a nice blue spark when finished.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Probably the easier way to solve the problem, shouldn't have any problems with a new "21 century" system.
I wouldn't trash the old system, someone well versed on those systems might be able to figure out the problem or how to fix it. Also, some of the components might help someone else who has a missing or damaged component. Just a thought.