03 Shifter puzzles

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
bobwhitman

03 Shifter puzzles

Post by bobwhitman »

HELP! Assembling an 03 motor; find parts puzzles with transmission parts. I have the Service Bulletin re; gear installation & ratios. I'm aware of the two different gear components (mainshaft and countershaft gears). I appear to have the "early/trials" counter shaft gears., The main shaft does not fit the above bulletin specs.

Does anyone have an 03 in parts, to compare critical dimensions with me?

Would really appreciate any help!

Bob 541-954-0101
thrownchain

Re: 03 Shifter puzzles

Post by thrownchain »

What type of info do you need? Tooth counts?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I've talked with Bob on the phone about the issue he's bumping into - and provided tooth counts for each gear.

Summary - it appears that an early Wombat 03 "basket case" engine he has (Q13001 thru Q15500) seems to have a Road Toad mainshaft and NOT the proper early 03 mainshaft in the basket. (an issue discovered on assembly). So he's starting the search for a proper early Wombat 03 mainshaft.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Ed just described the situation accurately. Thanks to Scott Hatch, an “early “ 03 main shaft is headed my way. Once we’ve checked it out with c/s gears and case, I’ll share my experience with y’all.
To answer TC’s question, tooth count is where you start on this journey (03s had unusual counts).