Hodaka Q&A

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
dirty_rat

Re: Hodaka Q&A

Post by dirty_rat »

The 90 race head doesn't have the machined area for drilling and tapping a second spark plug hole? Also, the combustion chamber was 48mm wide, instead of 50mm.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

All good answers and there is another way?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Pictures of an ace 90 racing head, looks the same as a super rat but notice the chevron on the bottom, A real quick look can spot it. -------------- Clarence
Top.jpg
Bottom.jpg
Bottom.jpg (72.3 KiB) Viewed 51332 times
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

A face book question asked the year A ace 100B was made with engine number 46595? It would be a 100B model 92A made in 1970 between August and October. ------------- Clarence
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Doesn't the combustion chamber on that 90 racing head look more like an Ace than a Super Rat. How do they compare?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

When did synthetic oil with a magnetic polar attraction first hit the market? and who produced it, who invented it? -------------- Clarence
Dale

Post by Dale »

taber hodaka wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:57 am When did synthetic oil with a magnetic polar attraction first hit the market? and who produced it, who invented it? -------------- Clarence
As soon as you mentioned "oil" I figured it could only be one brand. Bardahl? Looks like 1939 would be the year. Founded by Ole Bardahl. It is a good read...
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Man your are correct Dale! As a hodaka dealer I was testing different oils at the time and had a drawer full of ruined pistons, My shop helpers told me that after using Bardahl they never had any problems, even while selling it, I was still testing other oils. I sold Bardahl to the customer, I bought it from a person that sold it out of a little white van, he bought it out of North Dakota, they bought it from California and they bought it from Bardahl in Seattle. I contacted the Bardahl plant in Seattle and obtained a distributorship for Montana now the nickles were mine. Olie Bardahl was a very cool guy he helped me pull some tricks on my hodaka riders. Could be some oils weren't so good in the 60's but with Bardahl, when youved used the best why try the rest, ---- Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The ace 90 racing head is not close to the ace 90 head, it is closer to the super rat head and about to the same compression ratio. From the top view they look the same and are not close to the ace 90. The heads on the ace90 and the ace90's racing are not stamped1 ---- Clarence
Last edited by taber hodaka on Mon May 01, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Hodaka red we have seen discussions on paint color. If you want to have a hodaka with the paint color close to the original, apple red is too red it is almost a bright red. I just bought three cans of rust oleum. Hot red, safety red and apple red. Apple red is way to red, hot red and safety red are really close. I am down to one gallon of my hodaka red mixed by a professional (:expensive:) for a restoration I would use that. I do not re sand or use steel wool once I start applying paint. I paint the nooks and cranies and make sure they are covered. Painting the frame after the hard to reach are all covered. When painting I don't care how it looks, I just want a solid color, no light spots, it may be a little dull. My final coats is a wet coat I go slow enough to make the paint shine. I make sure that all areas you would see on the finished motor cycle are glossy. I do not clear coat as looking back on the past it didn't always last. And I do not keep up on the new tech. I practice on a piece of sheet rock as the speed you move and the distance from the board is a big factor. Be aware that thick wet paint over green paint not cured, can cause a crinkle finish. Applying automotive paint is a art and science and I would leave that to the professionals. Today I shake so bad I shake the rattle can. I complete my painting over primer in a couple to a few hours. Like Victor I like my etching primer and prefer it black because to me it is easier to get a uniform finish. Take the in out of finish and you have FISH time to go fishing. I think the hot red is a tiny bit closer, this is too long and may the painters reply. -------------- I did not edit sorry Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

How many thrust washers in a ace 100 engine? Clarence
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Depends on if you include the side covers, shifter mechanism, etc.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I was just asking on the engine enclosed not the clutch or shift cover on, but with the crank installed. ------- Clarence
Dale

Post by Dale »

taber hodaka wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:53 am How many thrust washers in a ace 100 engine? Clarence
I'll take a stab...
1 on the left side of crank
2 on the countershaft
2 on the kick starter shaft
2 on the crank pin (bottom of rod)
-----
7 ?
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I agree with 7! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Correct. Is there a advantage to installing a compression release on a 90, 100 or any hodaka?? ------------------------ Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Moderate engine braking & keeping the rpm’s up when coming out of a turn! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Dale

Post by Dale »

taber hodaka wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:59 am Correct. Is there a advantage to installing a compression release on a 90, 100 or any hodaka?? ------------------------ Clarence
To announce your arrival back to hunting camp...
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Dale I did enjoy your response! The thing dreaded on a good cross country ride with steep down hills is the brake locked and you pick up speed. Or your brakes got wet and are not working very well, Like the down hill at the bad rock fun ride. The compression release gives me full control on steep hills with out using a brake and my brakes are fully ready to work if I need them. If I were to set up a hodaka small bore I would start with a kill button, rim locks, compression release and upgrade the shock absorbers. Gearing starting with a 14 tooth and a back sprocket geared to the top speed that you ride at. Next I would install a reed valve, then tune and jet the carburetor. For extreme riding or racing A larger carburetor with a good enclosed air cleaner a tuned exhaust, then tune or jetting the motorcycle. I would suggest a 17 inch back wheel with a moderate traction tire. Others can offer better ideas. --------------- Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

MT RAT the combustion chamber of the ace 90 racing head looks like the super rat head and does not look like the ace head. The combustion chamber of the ace 90 and ace 100 look basically the same. ---------- Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

what is the fireing order on a two cylinder engine? -- Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Depends on whether it is a "twingle" or not.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

you are absolutely correct. but how did you know the correct answer? larence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I'm not sure when I first read about the concept of turning a, say, 500cc twin, into a 500cc "thumper" by changing the crank to move both pistons up in unison and fire them at the same time . . . but the concept apparently burned into my brain.

BUT, back to the original question . . . first one cylinder fires and then the other one does. OR, first the other cylinder fires and then the other-other cylinder fires? Hmmmm . . .

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

yyyep I will try and keep this to motorcycles, but being at coffee this morning things sometimes stray. radicals of all makes and kinds were discussing left wing / right wing, trying to define the difference,, then the pilot said he would rather have both wings ----- Clarence