New member, 1st project bike - 1972 Ace 100 B+

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BC7Clarky

New member, 1st project bike - 1972 Ace 100 B+

Post by BC7Clarky »

Hi everyone!

New member to the forum, new 'guardian' of a Hodaka that needs some TLC. I have acquired my uncle's 1972 Ace 100 B+... it has been buried in his garage for 20+ years, unsure when it was last started or ridden prior to that. It's a bit dusty, dirty and in need of some work. He doesn't have the ability to take on this project right now but I do have some spare time and hate to see it just sitting. I know he'd love to ride it again so my plan is to get it back into safe running condition for light off-road use here in BC, Canada.

From my brief time reading through this forum I can tell this is a place of great knowledge. I've already learned lots from reading other topics. I've owned and maintained a few (modern) dirt bikes over the years, so I'm familiar with the basic mechanical aspects; rebuilding carbs, forks, air filters. However, I don't have any experience with full engine rebuilds... clutches, splitting cases, bottom/top ends, etc. That's all foreign and a bit daunting! I'm mechanically inclined and feel I should be able to do it, but haven't tried yet. This will be my first 'restoration' project. I will be picking up a Supplement Workshop Manual ASAP as I know it will be invaluable during this process. I'm sure I'll still have lots of question!

I've already started pulling it apart, removing seat, tank, carb, exhaust, fenders.

Cables: will replace all
Tank: de-rust inside and fog until ready to fill with fuel
Carb: after a good cleaning appears to be in decent shape. One float side is a little squished. Jets / orifices seem good. I may just grab a rebuild kit from Terry to keep it fresh.
Air filter: foam element is toast, rest seems OK. Seems replacement foam is easy enough to get.
Forks: don't feel great, but I'm sure a rebuild kit with fresh seals, bushing, oil etc. will do.
Wiring: seems the bike has been stripped down. No battery, ignition switch (key), lights, speedo, etc. The "Off-Run-Off" switch on the handlebar wasn't connected to anything. All it has under the tank is the ignition coil. Rear tail light still has its wiring assembly, but isn't run forward on the bike. I don't think I'll re-wire the bike for lights/keyed ignition, but a run/kill switch would be nice.
Brakes: TBD, due to space constraints, trying to keep the bike 'roll-able' for now, before pulling the wheels/forks. Probably should replace the pads regardless or....?
Shocks: hard to tell, but don't feel great. Maybe rebuild? Should the springs be rubbing on the frame or exhaust at all? I'm wondering if things are a little bent at the moment. I feel they should be free and clear of any obstructions...

Engine (top end): this is where I'm really unsure. I guess just have to start pulling it apart to determine how much is needed? Start with removing the cylinder head nuts, remove the head and cylinder, see how it looks and feels? Is it just the 4 head nuts and then the head and jug should lift up and off? cylinder boring seems to be the thing with these projects eh? $$$

Bottom end: ??? without splitting the cases, can't really tell much, correct?
Clutch: drain oil and pull side cover to inspect?
Magneto cover: can I just remove this to inspect flywheel etc.?

Anyway, sorry for the long post... I started rambling. I'm excited for this project. I just wanted to pop in to say hello and introduce the bike and project! I'm open to any and all questions, comments and suggestions! I look forward to chatting with you all and am grateful for any and all support.

Happy Trails!

- Clarky

1972 Hodaka Ace 100 B+
Frame: A-70174 // Mar 1972
Engine: P-62008
Attachments
IMG-4095.JPG
IMG-4096.JPG
viclioce

Re: New member, 1st project bike - 1972 Ace 100 B+

Post by viclioce »

Clearly! Where in B.C. are you located? I have a good friend, Alan Donovan, who is in Mapleridge! Alan is earning the name Canada’s Mr. Hodaka. He’s a great motor builder and restorer! If you want help and aren’t far from him, I can give him your number and you his! Just let me know if your interested and close enough! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Welcome to the group Clarky! That is a pretty fine looking starting scooter! You'll have a good time checking everything out. And you'll have all the support you need from this group. 😁
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

An offer I've made before to "new" owners:

I have the Hodaka Workshop Manual(s) for this bike in .img files.

It has the answers you need.

It's yours no charge for the asking. I'll email the files to you.

aharpster at copper dot net.

Better contact me soon.

Off to fla for a couple weeks, won't have access to the files from the beach.

Good luck & take your time.
givergas

Post by givergas »

hello i was where you were a couple of years ago. same model B+, with just enough mechanical knowledge to be dangerous . so i relied on this forum and the knowledge that's here and HODAKA PARTS and i take a ton of pictures for reference , my grandson who was 10 at the time and i took every thing apart that would come apart , forks, engine, speedometer , carb, even the key switch . so believe you me if i tell you if i / we can do it so can you . by the way are B+ runs great ...albert
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
IMG_7428.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Hodaka red looks so good under the Christmas tree or green rows of corn. Clarky a;;ways curious what are your serial numbers engine and frame? Great looking Hodaka with just a quick look the brake hub should be, or at least came on the right side and you need a new kick stand spring. If it runs good and is within spec I never bore. It sure looks good. -------------- Clarence
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Clarence you may have missed that the engine and frame numbers are at the end of the original post, just before the pictures.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Clarence - good "catch" on the photos! The front wheel is installed in a "non-standard" way. Normally, the brake plate is on the other side of the machine, the brake lever points to the rear AND the brake stay is in tension (not compression). Remove the wheel. Slide complete fork legs out of the triple clamps and switch sides - then re-assemble. That should put things back in "stock" positions.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
BC7Clarky

Post by BC7Clarky »

Thanks everybody!! I'm excited to get started. Thanks for the help already.
Albert, great to hear you were in a similar position and everything worked out. Your bike looks great!! Seeing all these B+ bikes with lights, speedo and toolbox make me jealous...haha
I was hoping some 'expert eyes' would notice things from the photos. That's interesting about the front wheel being installed 'non-standard'. Good catch Clarence. I'll switch that around. Thanks for the tips Ed.
I just pulled the head and cylinder.. things actually look pretty good. I'll give it all a good clean and check spec. Hopefully it's good and I just need new gaskets then can fire it up. Victor, if I do need some major motor rebuilding I may hit you up for Alan's info. I'm in Victoria, on Vancouver Island, so not too far away from Maple Ridge!
I'll keep you all posted on how things are progressing :)
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

If it has been stored in a hot or dry environment Dried out hardened seals are toast?? Just my opinion ----------- Clarence