DIY zinc plating. Any success?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
gregg_floren

DIY zinc plating. Any success?

Post by gregg_floren »

I got suckered into trying to some simple zinc plating on a few parts. I watched several videos on line and it seemed really easy.

Well my first tests on a couple of spare parts were not great. I wasn't using a plating kit, since they seem kind of expensive and there there seemed to be a lot of stuff in there that I really don't need - bucket, gloves, electrolyte, etc. I just ordered a few things on line. Less than $20 invested so far.

First I cleaned the parts with acetone. Then I used an electrolyte made of washing soda and a little vinegar at about 105 degrees and a 1.5 volt power supply. After the recommended time period (about 10 minutes) it didn't seem like anything had changed significantly. I left the process going for about another 30 minutes. The results were a kind of dull blotchy gray. I also tried a 6 volt power supply, although I've read that a higher voltage can cause the plating distribution to be uneven. Similar results.

The test parts were a rear axle spacer and a brake cam lever. The zinc anodes were purchased from Amazon.

Has anyone here ever attempted to do this and had better success? I know zinc plating isn't expensive to send out and have done, but I usually only need a piece or two. Sure would be handy to be able to just drop something in my own plating take for a few minutes.
Al Harpster

Re: DIY zinc plating. Any success?

Post by Al Harpster »

I've spent a lot of time learning how to plate so it looks right.

But my focus was on bright nickel plating. And some alkaline copper plating.

If you're willing to spend another 25 or 30 bucks I'd suggest the Caswell Plating Manual.

Maybe you can find an older Free copy on line.

This will tell you if you really want to pursue this with nice results.

For Used parts, like old Hodaka hardware, it's

1 strip the old plating off with muriatic acid diluted to 20 or 25 percent. Hardware stores still have this.

2 preferably bead blast, but polish with scotchbrite pads or 400 grit paper. Optional I guess but the better it looks the nicer the plate.

3 soak in a 25 percent solution of Super Clean to remove all dirts & oils.

4 Rinse repeatedly

5 probably "activate" or soak for a minute in a clean dilute muratic acid solution 20-25 percent.

6 Rinse repeatedly

7 submerge in electrolyte & apply current at a rate of 1/32 to 1/16 amp per square inch of surface to be plated.

There's a lot of flex in these numbers, but with out knowing the amps who knows what you have pushing deposition? It's amps, not volts that tell.

As I mentioned, the Caswell Plating Manual is a decent overview. It covers everything from copper to zinc to brass to real trivalent chrome for "hobbyists".

Caswell is expensive, but winters can be long & it's something to do rather than watch the tube.

Good luck
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

I have been doing my own zinc plating for a few years now and I have learned a couple of things. The only problem I can see with what you are doing is the electrolyte. I use straight white vinegar that has been ionized. To ionize the vinegar, pour one gallon of white vinegar into your plating tank. Put a zinc anode in both the positive and negative terminals of your power supply and run 20 - 30 minutes. You no longer have a gallon of white vinegar, now you have a gallon of zinc electrolyte. For a power supply, I use an old Schumacher one amp motorcycle battery charger set on six volts.

Where is Arizona Shorty aka Hydraulic Jack when you need him?

Larry S
captonzap

Post by captonzap »

Another caution. When you pull the parts out of the cleaner, do not touch them with bare hands. Skin oil that gets on the parts disturbs the plating.
Also, I doubt you will get a "bright" zinc plate using the bath you made.
You might try adding a bit of glucose to the bath and see if that improves it. The glucose is a brightener.
(Think honey or syrup). The formula I have says 16 ounces per gallon.
The bath uses Zinc sulfate, ammonium chloride, aluminum sulfate or sodium acetate. and the glucose as an optional addition.
CZ
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

I have replated several Wombat parts and many fasteners with great success. I looked at several videos and found their electrolyte formulas lacking. My best results came from Tom Gugliatta's formula. http://www.southsandia.com/forum/websit ... ating.html.

Inexpensive but very time consuming due to the learning curve. Bought the zinc sulphate and the swamp cooler anodes on Ebay. I strip the parts with muriatic acid. It can be diluted. Nasty stuff. Keep it outside away from anything plated. Unseen vapors ruin things. Citric acid can also be used (found with canning supplies). It is slower but far less hazardous. I made 4.5 gallons electrolyte for a 5 gallon pail. Later made a 1-gallon plastic coffee can version. The key is current. I set the current on a bench supply. Larger parts need more current but there's a fine line between a good finish and burning the plating. Some parts are easier than others. Plating into a recess is hard. I dip the finished parts in Caswell's blue chromate.

Here's my first success - I think its an old auto axle nut from the junk box. I'm still proud of it.
Nut.jpg
Nut.jpg (49.94 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
My personal masterpiece was the Wombat rear sprocket.
Sprocket.jpg
Tom Gugliatta says plating is as much art as science. Did I mention it's also time consuming?
gregg_floren

Post by gregg_floren »

This is all good stuff.

I can see at least three areas I need to investigate here:

1. Preparation - looks like just wiping down with a strong solvent isnt enough

2. Electrolyte formula - may need to experiment with this

3. Adding some kind brightner

Thanks for the input.

Gregg
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, all Zinc platters in Hodaka World, I think its a fun and interesting hobby to try this process, but would it not be less time consuming and etc. To Just bundle up what you want Zinc Plated and send to a Chrome shop, I know it might be expensive but much safer and quicker. Most good chrome shops will Zinc plate items on a volume and weight program. Need to ask and see which way would be the best way. Thanks for all the details all of you have found in trying to make is a do it yourself project. Much more satisfying I am sure. You did it you way.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

gregg_floren wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:03 am This is all good stuff.

I can see at least three areas I need to investigate here:

1. Preparation - looks like just wiping down with a strong solvent isnt enough

2. Electrolyte formula - may need to experiment with this

3. Adding some kind brightner

Thanks for the input.

Gregg
Gregg, I know the guy I follow on YT that does his own has a bucket of acetone he dips his stuff into as the last step before the process.