Super Combat stuck swing arm

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Tether

Super Combat stuck swing arm

Post by Tether »

I have a Super Combat that I trying to remove the swing arm. The bolt is stuck inside the swing arm and will not budge. I have wracked on it with a big hammer to the point of destroying the nut but absolutely no movement.
Any suggestions?
Stever

Re: Super Combat stuck swing arm

Post by Stever »

One way, which saves hammering, heating, penetrating oil, etc, although some cursing may still be required -

Carefully drill out both ends of the bolt, down to the swingarm, starting with small drill bits working up to the size of the bolt. That gets the swingarm free from the frame. I think there's a grease fitting that already centers your drilling on one end of the bolt, isn't there?

Then remove the wheel, shocks, etc. Take the swingarm to any shop that has a shop press, and have them press the bolt shaft out.

just my 2 cents, based on experience

-Stever
Tether

Post by Tether »

I did try penetrating oil. I will try applying heat next. Drilling seems like it would be the last resort but if that’s what it takes then so be it.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Does the swing arm move on the frame? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Tether

Post by Tether »

Yes Victor the swing arm moves on the frame. The bolt is stuck inside of the swing arm. I have had stuck swing arms before but I’ve always been able to get them apart eventually. This one is winning the battle so far. I have tried lots of penetrating oil, heat, big hammer, sweat and cussing but it won’t budge. I have ruined the the bolt so I don’t care about that anymore.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Can you drive the bolt in both directions? Is there any possibility the bold is bent or the bore has a big ding in it? If neither of these is the case, going both directions thermally can really help. Freeze Your Nuts Off is a penetrating oil aerosol with a coolant in the formula. The best is freon for the cooling cycle.
Stever

Post by Stever »

If all else fails and you resort to drilling, here is just a little more detail on drilling out. This applies to the swing arm bolt, but I mainly learned this from watching how a friend drilled out bolts that had broken off in a threaded hole, where the threads in the hole really needed to be saved. Works better for me than a reverse bit or easy-outs, which I tend to break.

You don't need to work up all the way to a drill bit that is the same diameter as the bolt, which might be impractical, especially in the case of the swing arm bolt. Go big enough to make the remaining walls of the bolt thin, and drill deep enough to go into the bolt half inch or so past the frame. Then use a pointed punch or awl to cave in the thin walls, punching them down into the drilled out hole so the bolt clears the frame.

In the case of a bolt broken off in a threaded hole, drill the entire length of the bolt, so what remains of it is kind of a threaded thin tube (this also allows penetrating oil to get past the end of the bolt and work from the bottom), then carefully deform it inward with an awl, etc. to get it loose. Then work it out of the hole. Probably a very confusing description, but simple in practice.

-Stever
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Check the SC parts list showing the swingarm assembly. There is a spacing collar between the bushings. This may be stuck to the shaft. Your heat and penatrating oil may need to be concentrated on this area.