Help identify this head

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Tether

Help identify this head

Post by Tether »

So I was digging through my Hodaka parts stash and came across this head. I don’t remember what it is for.
13F3D9D9-AACB-408C-8389-F44753F015CC.jpeg
E0B0A958-18BF-4652-9153-50D2087AC0CF.jpeg
FAC226C9-4942-472C-9633-B68DCC16C32F.jpeg
Dale

Re: Help identify this head

Post by Dale »

Later model (painted tanks) 100cc. Models with alumiferric cylinders. I think I see evidence of black paint? If so then it is either from a 99 Road Toad or a 98 Supet Rat. I don't know if there is any difference in the milling between these two models.

I have one head that is identical except it has never been painted. I believe that it is for an 02 Road Toad and 01 Dirt Squirt. Therefore. I believe yours is from a 99 Road Toad.
Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dale wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 am Later model (painted tanks) 100cc. Models with alumiferric cylinders. I think I see evidence of black paint? If so then it is either from a 99 Road Toad or a 98 Supet Rat. I don't know if there is any difference in the milling between these two models.

I have one head that is identical except it has never been painted. I believe that it is for an 02 Road Toad and 01 Dirt Squirt. Therefore. I believe yours is from a 99 Road Toad.
Update: I located a known 98 Super Rat head. It has the same part number stamp and appears identical in every way to my 02 Road Toad head. This includes the combustion chamber. It appears to me that your head would be for any of the later 100cc motors.
Dale
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Dale is correct in that the head is from a late model 100cc bike, but the Rat and Toad heads are different. The Rat has a higher exhaust port and requires a higher compression head. My guess is that this head is from a Toad.

Brian
Dale

Post by Dale »

BrianZ wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:58 am Dale is correct in that the head is from a late model 100cc bike, but the Rat and Toad heads are different. The Rat has a higher exhaust port and requires a higher compression head. My guess is that this head is from a Toad.

Brian
Excellent point Brian. Thanks for chiming in.
Now I am as confused about what I have as Tether was about his. :lol: :lol:
The problem is that all of the heads on the later 100cc models have the same part number stamped. The second number is blank. If there are any differences it would have to be with the combustion chamber right? The two heads that I have are identical. One was in a box and the other I removed from a used/spare 98 Super Rat motor. So, I either have two 98 Super Rat heads or the previous owner swapped up the head on this old motor. That is certainly possible. In that case I have two Road Toad heads. No idea now!

I' know that someone knows the how to identify the different heads and hopefully they will chime in on this.
Dale
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

You would probably have to cc out the heads...to determine what the volume of the combustion chambers are. Less volume would be a Super Rat head and more volume would be the Road Toad/Dirt Squirt head.
Dale

Post by Dale »

dirty_rat wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:02 am You would probably have to cc out the heads...to determine what the volume of the combustion chambers are. Less volume would be a Super Rat head and more volume would be the Road Toad/Dirt Squirt head.
Agreed. I plan to CC the two that I have to determine if they are the same. Will go from there...
Dale