New Member Restoring 2 Wombats

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
AKwombat

New Member Restoring 2 Wombats

Post by AKwombat »

I am new to this forum and the Hodaka Club. Thanks to all the members for posting all this great technical info. Recently picked up two model 94 Wombats that have been sitting outdoors here in Alaska for many years. The last Hodaka I owned was 48 yrs ago, a '72 Wombat that I bought new in Anchorage when I was a kid.

My plan is to restore these two Wombats. So far, I have disassembled one of them. They have very low miles and appear to be original, but everything is froze up after sitting outdoors. After about a month of soaking the engine in AeroKroil/ATV/acetone I managed to get it apart. I had to use some medieval methods to get the cylinder off, but managed to get it all apart without damaging anything but the piston. There was still gear oil in the engine, so the clutch and all the gears look to be in excellent condition. Ignition stator and flywheel are badly corroded, so I will probably have to buy an electronic ignition. Sent the cylinder and crankshaft to Hodaka Dave for repair.

I want to have a bunch of the small parts and hardware re-zinc plated. Can anyone recommend a plating shop in the western states to do this?

Thanks and I look forward to participating in this forum!
Attachments
IMG_2002.jpeg
IMAU4181.jpeg
matt glascock

Re: New Member Restoring 2 Wombats

Post by matt glascock »

Nice!! I just spent a week fireroad/deer trailing on that model. Fantastic enduro bike. You are in for a lot of fun! Hodaka Dave does magnificent engine work. Good call.

PS- get yourself the Official Hodaka Wombat/Combat Wombat Workshop Manual. One of the best technical publications I've ever seen. Clear, concise, well-written and illustrated. Invaluable as you dig in.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

"Stored outside for many years"?!
That Alaskan climate is sure easy on chrome! Rubber parts don't appear to be ravaged either.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'm not lining up on the rubber part preservation. I think every rubber part on the bike is shot. The good news is that it is all available. Cool.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Before buying electronic ignitions you might contact California Hodaka 1-626-324–0303.

This gentleman specializes in rebuilding these. Believe his first name is Greg.

Bruce Young at Hodaka Parts Idaho may have used replacements. He may also have an email address for California Hodaka. I'd contact both if it were me.

Good luck!
AKwombat

Post by AKwombat »

Thanks for all the good advice! I plan to get a workshop manual when I order my first batch of parts. I'll check around for the ignition parts. The 2 bikes I have look okay from about 10'. The chrome parts look pretty good, but like Matt said, all of the rubber parts are history. My first two motorcycles were Hodakas, so restoring these will be fun!
AKwombat

Post by AKwombat »

Making some progress bringing my first 94 Wombat back from the dead. Bead blasted most of the parts. The seat base was very corroded with some areas rusted through. This required pretty extensive weld repairs. Pulsed TIG was very useful welding the thin corroded steel.
IMG_2161.jpeg
Received my overhauled crankshaft and cylinder back from Hodaka Dave. Recieved most of the parts required for the whole project from Terry at Hodaka-Parts. Both of these guys and their helpers provide excellent service. Excellent workshop manual provided by Terry. Im still amazed by the parts and services available for a 50 year old motorcycle!
Had the frame sandblasted, repainted all the parts, and started putting a few things back together.
Chris
IMG_2217.jpeg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I’m working on a 1971 Model 94 Wombat right now too! Today I put all new seals/O-rings in the forks and filled them with 20w fork oil & mounted them!

I also did the same as you! Had the frame, headlight bucket & Chain Guard sand blasted and repainted with 2 coats of etching primer & satin black paint! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
48C344F6-6CB7-4BB9-9BD8-ED8216B65480.jpeg
4FA16104-4395-4C8D-AB2F-0B35918AF3CF.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
AKwombat

Post by AKwombat »

Looks good Victor. Thanks for the response. My Wombats were so corroded from sitting outside, I have had to bead blast and refinish just about every part. Most of the critical fits are okay though, such as steering head bearings, swingarm bushings, wheel bearing bores, and engine bearing bores. Considering how rusty they were, the bikes came apart fairly easily. I only snapped off a few bolts. The cylinder and crankcase were the only parts that were really a challenge to get apart.
Chris
AKwombat

Post by AKwombat »

IMG_2535.jpeg
Well I used the best parts from my two Wombats plus a bunch of parts from Terry to put together this one. It started right up after 40? years of non-use. Thanks to Ed for his jetting recommendations. The jetting was a bit rich, but in the ballpark on the first start. I have been adjusting the jetting step by step and currently have it running pretty well through the whole rpm range. The 03 top end puts out great trail riding power!

This forum, the Resonator articles, and the service manual have all been great technical resources. Thanks to all who have contributed to these resources. If everything stays on track, I plan to bring it to Hodaka Days.

For some reason, my thumbnail pic is upside down, but the picture is right side up when I click on it?

Chris
givergas

Post by givergas »

That is one cool picture great job
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

To turn it right side up in your post, try doing a small crop of the image so it establishes the top of the photo. Works every time for me! Here’s yours! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
B893F86D-0AEF-4DB7-99F9-D45852014A32.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)