I'm Disappointed in the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Larry S

I'm Disappointed in the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

Post by Larry S »

Every motorcycle marquis you could imagine was represented - EXCEPT Hodaka. There was only one Hodaka on display, and it wasn't representative of the brand. It had a yellow plastic tank and fenders and looked like it just came out of a barn. If I hadn't seen the CW air cleaner, I would have walked right by.

I think Hodaka deserves its own display with a restored Ace 90, Super Rat and Combat Wombat at the very least.

If you go to Barber to see British, European and Japanese big four bikes you will love it. If you want to see a Hodaka, you will be disappointed.

Larry S
thrownchain

Re: I'm Disappointed in the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

Post by thrownchain »

This one?
Attachments
0F539A05-AEBB-46E0-8EBF-A725F81694CE.jpeg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Not to play the Devil's advocate, but that IS a pretty kick-a$$ Hodie. In a sense, particularly a racing sense, it is a pretty cool ambassador for Hodaka with many of the upgrades of the day. Petty fenders, Clarke tank, Curnutt suspension, and...what the hell is the crystal ball thing mounted where the tach should be? Compensation for the weight savings from the steel tank and fenders exchange?
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Matt that "crystal ball" appears to be a pocket watch holder with magnification lens. Back when we were riding enduros in the 70's we had mounted on our handlebars at least one route sheet holder (sometimes two), an odometer, and a watch holder with a watch set to start time for our minute in the enduro. And don't forget the hex grips...
Ivan AKA "Pop"
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thanks Pop! ...and head milled for back-up spark plug. Thanks for the info on the watch holder. How cool is that?!?! Yes, great example of a Hodie in enduro trim.
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

It seems that everyone missed the point of my post.

The Japanese big four is represented by more than fifty bikes. The marquis that invented the dirt bike is represented by one crummy bike that doesn't even have a chrome tank.

I feel Hodaka deserves its own stand alone display with at least three chrome tank Hodakas - an Ace 90, 93 Super Rat, and a Combat Wombat. That is a minimum.

Larry S
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I agree with your beef. Completely. 100% The example they presented was by no means iconic, which is disappointing for sure, but was a good example of a CW tricked out for enduro work. Didn't mean to Bogart your thread.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

You could take it up with the museum, maybe donate the bikes for display. I did notice while I was there that the center of the display bikes are road race or street bikes. It has improved over time. I did notice the display doesn’t have a Van Tech in any form and should have at least one, preferably built by Lee Fabry. And using your criteria Penton should have a stand alone display also because of their contribution to the sport. My 2 cents.
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

At least Penton has three beautifully restored bikes on display.
captonzap

Post by captonzap »

Now wait a minute! Where are they supposed to get more restored Hodakas? No body in their right mind would give one up. ;) ;) ;) ;)
danshale

Post by danshale »

Larry, in a good note, might you’ve seen their Yamaguchi’s 250 YMB, SPB, or Cotton Cobra- as those all came thru PABATCO to represent the Distributors overall contributions.
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

I didn't see any Yamaguchis or Cottons (that doesn't mean there were not there) There are so many beautifully restored bikes it's sensory overload. Motorcycles that I have only seen in pictures, in many cases, there were more than one. I think my favorite bike in the collections was a Bultaco 125 TSS road racer, 27 HP @ 14,000 RPM.

I know that this post went sideways and made me look anti-Barber. That's not true. I look forward to going back and seeing a Hodaka stand alone display.
I'm done with this.
Larry S