Super Rat's Granddaddy???

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Stever

Super Rat's Granddaddy???

Post by Stever »

Like most every Hodaka fan, I have always loved the names, especially Super Rat, Wombat, and Combat Wombat. Way back in the day I liked thinking about the folks at Pabatco, they must have had fun making up the names. No marketing department fake tough names like Samurai, Avenger, or stuff like that.

I was reading the Friday edition Fernandina Beach newspaper, and saw an article that featured a few special two stroke motorcycles, which will be displayed in a special class at the annual Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance car show this spring. I ran across this -

"… the oddly named Scott Flying Squirrel, a British water-cooled two-stroke twin of the 1920s. As its price tag was nearly double that of its British competitors, financial problems dogged the Shipley-based concern. A third place in the 1929 Isle of Man TT summoned an updated version of the Flying Squirrel. By 1931, as the Depression deepened, finances deteriorated and Scott was unable to enter either the TT or the Earl’s Court show, where it had debuted the Flying Squirrel in 1926. "

A Flying Squirrel in the 1920's capable of a fine finish at the Isle of Man TT! Super Rat's granddaddy maybe?