Narrow My Build Please

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
fortunet1

Narrow My Build Please

Post by fortunet1 »

Man I'm lost what direction to take with my build project.....

I think the flat track frame...with the double neck welded on is a Super Rat frame.
Motor # M7480 Frame # B- 571687 Apr-1971

But what is the other bike I picked up at the museum ?
Engine # P10098 Frame# A10015

If my desired direction is to build a stock looking Super Rat would it be best to grind off that extra
neck on the flat track bike (to use that frame) or utilize the unmolested second frame listed ?
Then I'm not even sure if I should use the Cerani forks off that second frame or use the leading link
front suspension on the flat tracker (Rat frame) Just way to many ways to go.
Photos of these two frames on my other posts. That 21" front wheel on the flat tracker leading link is bent beyond repair so I'm also wondering what size front wheel a stock Rat would have had in that year..and whats available.
I do have a spare M motor as well.
Bruce Young

Re: Narrow My Build Please

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, please give me a call, Hodakapartsidaho, 1--208--571--2823 I may be able to help you with your decision. With little expense. Depending on what sort of riding you wish to do. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

If it were me personally, I would decide what kind of riding I want to do with the bike being built. The second frame is an Ace 100 frame. The Rat frame has extra gussets not found on the Ace frame.

Both the leading link forks (are they Van Tech?) and the Ceriani forks are highly desirable setups. If you only plan to use one, the other will bring you a good $$$ return which you can put into the bike you are building. Or build two very nice bikes with each set of forks!

Both the Ceriani & the leading edge front ends could easily bring you $400-600 depending on which one and which buyer.

Do decide what you want to do with this bike and what it’s primary riding will be. Then pick the front end to go with the riding. That’s my 2 cents anyway.

And if you need any kickstand mounts, I just had a dozen made! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

On the machine with the added steering head -- that was (is) a "period correct" modification to improve the handling of the machine for competition. And it worked! If it were me, I wouldn't try to walk that back, I'd celebrate it. If you use the other frame, you will NOT end up with a fully "correct" Rat. You'd end up with a "stand back and it looks right" Rat.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
fortunet1

Post by fortunet1 »

Bullfrog wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:40 am On the machine with the added steering head -- that was (is) a "period correct" modification to improve the handling of the machine for competition. And it worked! If it were me, I wouldn't try to walk that back, I'd celebrate it. If you use the other frame, you will NOT end up with a fully "correct" Rat. You'd end up with a "stand back and it looks right" Rat.

Ed
After a couple of morning phone conversations ...I think your suggestions are most definitely the right direction to take.
Thank You so much Sir Ed !!

Now I know which frame build to concentrate on.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

the second frame is not a ace 100 frame the ace 100 frame began with frame number A17384, so A10015 would be a ace 90. the ace 90 frame is a good one also. unless I am missing something here? I still cant think, or didn't know anyone ever flat tracked with a leading link r ------------ Clarence
fortunet1

Post by fortunet1 »

taber hodaka wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:02 am the second frame is not a ace 100 frame the ace 100 frame began with frame number A17384, so A10015 would be a ace 90. the ace 90 frame is a good one also. unless I am missing something here? I still cant think, or didn't know anyone ever flat tracked with a leading link r ------------ Clarence
Being a rookie to these bikes...(by the way, my son and I were given this bike to us in the 90's..pulled out of the weeds a friends place)...I thought It might be a flat tracker given the low (below frame) exhaust on the right side. Do you suppose this was a home built or modified build exhaust ?

Guess I'll stop calling it the flat tracker..lol I stand corrected.
Attachments
2021-02-15 20.29.35.jpg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

The amazing part is that it doesn't appear to be thrashed or rusted out. Cool. Probably a motocross build.
fortunet1

Post by fortunet1 »

matt glascock wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:25 pm The amazing part is that it doesn't appear to be thrashed or rusted out. Cool. Probably a motocross build.
Yes, I agree...this frame is in much better (relatively rust free) So glad we rescued it so many years ago and had been stored in my garage attic where it was bone dry. I discovered the double goose neck when after I pulled the engine out (while on a ceiling joist) ...reaching to feel if it had a head badge the badge fell off in my hand like a dried leaf....perfectly intact.
This bike has a coil and we ran it way back in 92. We had a manuel and I remember my son and I checking timing and cleaning and setting the point gap. The museum bike has no coil...did some run without a coil?
That's the P10098 engine bike.
Attachments
2021-02-17 22.13.27.jpg