Hodaka ID help

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Cdnhodaka

Hodaka ID help

Post by Cdnhodaka »

I just picked up a hodaka and need help identifying it. I was told it was a super rat but I think it may be a hybrid.
Before anyone asks, I've looked for frame and engine numbers. The engine is P70xxx which indicates a dirt squirt, but the frame looks more like a rat or ace, and it's been modified.
It also has a 17 in rear and 19 in front which also leans towards a squirt.
Attachments
$_59 (4).jpeg
DSC_0070.JPG
DSC_0071.JPG
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Hodaka ID help

Post by Bullfrog »

I'd guess you aren't getting much of a response cuz most of us are trying to figure out what to say.

You have a heavily modified "Ace" era Hodaka chassis there. Arrows on the photo point to things which are not "stock".
ModdedHodie1 copy.jpg
If you were planning on a fun "rider" - you are on your way. If you were planning on an authentic Super Rat restoration . . . this machine is not a very good starting place.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Two locations for the Upper Shock Bolt indicates a Dirt Squirt? This is what a Hodaka Fan with several different Models would buy for more parts. WAY too much to do to get it up and running. Still, there is some value to a Hodaka collector. Joe.
Cdnhodaka

Post by Cdnhodaka »

I'm aware it's modified. It's going to be a rider not a restore, I have the rest of the engine parts, won't take much to get it running, plus it has a webco head and reed valve induction.
Just asking to make sure I get appropriate chassis parts as needed.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I am with ED. It would make the fun rider. I am not sure it is the correct tank, looks different with the front of the gas tank coming to a point could be me eyes?? If you want a superrat get a super rat frame or rolling chasis. I like it, get it running and let er shine. -----------------Clarence
Cdnhodaka

Post by Cdnhodaka »

Thanks Clarence, it's definitely not the right tank, it's a skinny plastic one. Looks like it was set up to race and every effort to lose weight was made. Vintage preston petty fenders, and some other things trimmed down.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

DOH! I missed sticking an arrow on the forward upper shock mount which Joe pointed out - that is an owner mod from back in the day. Size and shape of the steering head gusset (along with other things) confirms the "Ace" era heritage of the frame.

Sounds like it is all going to work out just fine. Cdnhodaka is headed toward making a "rider" and has some interesting engine parts to play with to boot!

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

It's an Ace 90 frame.

evidenced by the location of the toolbox mount brackets under the seat and the absence of seat mounting brackets which are normally seen through the "big hole" above the extra shock mount. (Ace 90 and Ace 100 seats had different rear mounting brackets.)

$0.02

Roger
Cdnhodaka

Post by Cdnhodaka »

That's what I was thinking after checking out various pictures of different models. The seat mount was cut off but the ends are still there and it looks like the one from the 90.
On the rear left side you can see where the early frame number plate was riveted and the coil mount is looks like that of an ace 90 also.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Cdnhodaka wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:30 pm coil mount is looks like that of an ace 90 also.
Wait a minute... if it has a coil mount, it cannot be an Ace90 frame. It would be an Ace100 frame. I didn't think that someone would have cut off the mounting brackets for the seat.. silly me...

I'll go hide in my Hodaka shed now...

Roger
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I didn't see the coil bracket, horn bracket could be? ---------- Clarence
Cdnhodaka

Post by Cdnhodaka »

I'll clarify , it's a 90 frame because there isn't a coil mount. With the coil mount (or absence of one) being a distinguishing feature of the model.
On this particular bike that has a dirt squirt engine someone rigged up the coil to the horn mount.
Attachments
DSC_0075.JPG
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The early rat frame did not have a coil mount either. just to mention. Remote condenser also nice ---------------- Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Cool. Definite race pedigree.