Magura 314 throttle cable

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
motovate

Magura 314 throttle cable

Post by motovate »

I'm thinking about getting a Magura 314 or a Motion Pro 01 throttle that looks about the same as the Magura. Anyone know if the Hodaka throttle cable for the 01 Dirt Squirt will work in any of these 2 throttles?? I have a brand new Hodaka cable- just wondering if it will work or if I have to get a Motion Pro cable??

Thanks -

Larry
matt glascock

Re: Magura 314 throttle cable

Post by matt glascock »

I have a Magura 314 Duo throttle on my TM-125 and needed a new cable. I have a mountain of old cables and happened to find one that worked perfectly although it is a little light for competition work. There was nothing special about it at all. The Hodaka cable should work and it will take about five minutes to determine if it won't. As an aside, I love the Magura 314 Duo. The short roll set-up is perfect for MX. The long roll setting is great for trail riding and enduro work.
motovate

Post by motovate »

Great - Thanks I figured someone was using them and or the Motion Pro which I "Think" is essentially the same design????? What is the differences with the "Duo" and the other 314 throttles???? Any Idea???
I was primarily wondering if the throttle end of the cable would fit in the throttle tube and not interfere with rotation . I knew the carb slide would fit. Also wondered about the length of the cable being long enough or too long.

I checked Hodaka-Parts and they have/had a kit - throttle w/ cable but it is out of stock although it looks like they may have the cable to fit smaller carbs since they have two lengths - by carb size. Amazon has several Magura and Motion pro throttles for around $26-$27 - getting real close to grabbing one of them.

Thanks again
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

As opposed to the Hodaka-type throttle where the cable wraps vertically around the axis of the bar, the 314 takes the cable up around an horizontal spool. The Duo has a two spools of different diameters rotating as a unit about the same axis. The large diameter spool takes the slide from closed to WOT in a quarter-turn. The smaller spool works like a typical dirt bike throttle. I can't remember if the 314 had a single MX or enduro-type spool. You might get by with the shorter cable. The one on my TM125 was a bit longer, and without taking out a tape measure, I'd say the TM is a bit longer from bar to carb than a Hodie.
motovate

Post by motovate »

OK- Yes I understand the Horizontal vs Vertical spools. I thought the spools were "changeable" to get the MX vs Enduro twist. The Duo sounds like it is easier to change the pull. Thanks.

LBM