You don't see these often

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BrianZ

You don't see these often

Post by BrianZ »

Here is a picture of a bike, the remains of one at least, that I picked up today:
Hodaka 003.jpg
There is not that much there to identify it, but let's see if any of you Hodaka folks know what it is.

Brian
eichco1

Re: You don't see these often

Post by eichco1 »

Nice!!! Did they come with yellow frames?

Are you going to restore it?

Mark in Illinois
Nut Bros Racing. Doing more with less since 2007! Ride 'em, don't hide 'em. Join The Hodaka Club! Only $24.00!
MWL

Post by MWL »

Maybe that's one of those rare prototypes we've been hearing about......
Mike
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

It doesn't appear to be a Hodie frame of any sort. No engine mounts. Nice British aluminum alloy tank. Looks like someone's "one off" project to marry a Hodaka engine with their favorite "this thing will handle like a dream when I get done" chassis.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

It's called a Wassell Challenger. Wassell, an English company, made a trials bike kit that was set up to use a Hodaka motor. Here is a link to a write up with some pictures:

http://progress-is-fine.blogspot.ca/201 ... enger.html

The one I picked up is really rough and is missing a lot of pieces. I really wanted it just for the motor. The trouble is that as soon as I get these basket cases I develop an unreasonable desire to restore them, despite their condition. The motor mounts have been cut from the frame and one of the footpeg mounts is broken. It's missing the triple clamps, seat, fenders, etc, etc.

The engine is a reed valved 94 Wombat motor. It's missing the carb but the rest of the motor seems decent. I may try to get it going again if I ever locate enough parts to make the project viable.

Brian
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

If you decide you would rather walk away from the chassis, I'd be willing to take it off your hands.
eichco1

Post by eichco1 »

Do they do many vintage Trials events in Canada? You might be able to use stock Hodaka parts and make it into a decent rider. What kind of mods did they do to the 94 motor? Weighted flywheel? If you did want to get rid of the frame and tank, I would be interested as well. I have resurrected my 94 Trials project. :)

On another note, when is the big VMX weekend in Canada for 2014 scheduled for? I can't remember the name of it.

Mark in Illinois
Nut Bros Racing. Doing more with less since 2007! Ride 'em, don't hide 'em. Join The Hodaka Club! Only $24.00!
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I don't know if there are many vintage trials events in Canada. Since I have really focused on VMX I haven't paid much attention to the vintage trials scene. I attend Ormstown every year where they have a large vintage trials, plus VMX and hare scrambles. It's a great event. Here is the link:

http://www.rocler.qc.ca/ariane/VORF.htm

Mick Andrews will be there once again, and he usually runs a trials school. Apparently he likes to ride a Hodaka powered Wassell at the event.

When I got the motor it was stuck, so I "persuaded" the cylinder to come off with penetrating oil and blocks of wood. It is reed valved with porting to match. So far it looks like that is the only mods. I'm thinking of making it into a rider using spare parts I have lying around. It needs motor mounts, swingarm bushings, triple clamps and bearings, and forks springs, plus other small items. I'll have to contact local British parts suppliers to see what is available.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Terry Faust from Gemini distributing was the importer of these bikes. He changed the name of his company to Tonka Motorcycle Sales LTD. Roy's in Belleville Ontario Canada did a great job selling them.
In the U.S. they were called the Hodaka Challenger in Canada they were known as the Sprite Avenger. Good luck with putting it back Brian it will make a nice piece for your collection !
Paul
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Thanks for the info Paul. It's nice to know it was sold under two names, especially when it comes to searching for parts.

Brian
nubinizer

Post by nubinizer »

i have one 1971 hodaka challenger trials complete with 125 wombat motor thinkin mine is a wessel frame kick stand on opposite side shifter is bent (from factory?) that the gears are opposite , 1 up 3 down weird! im not sure how to post pic i am a new member from ontario canada.thnx nubinizer
Attachments
hodaka challenger.jpeg
hodaka challenger.jpeg (11.9 KiB) Viewed 16245 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There are not many of them out there!!It is kind of hard to see yours in the photo can you some more shots please ?? They were Sprite frames also were made in England like the Wassel frames.
Someone has changed your shifter assembly to an Ace 100 style ( 1 up 4 down) or an Ace 90 assembly ( 1 up 3 down).
The original assembly said "HODAKA" and was (1 down 4 up) pattern.
Did you get your bike from Roy's ??
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the group!
Paul
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Funny how these things work. I never heard of this bike before this past year and now I just picked up two more frames, another fuel tank, a set of forks with triple clamps and the remnants of a Wombat motor. I am now close to having enough parts to put one of these things together.

As you can see from this thread, I was wrong about the bike being made by Wassell.

I'll try to post some pictures of the project as it progresses.

Brian
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

In order to progress with this project, I have a couple of questions:

1) How long is the rear brake stay, center to center? I need to make one.

2) How long are the shocks?

Brian
nubinizer

Post by nubinizer »

admin wrote:There are not many of them out there!!It is kind of hard to see yours in the photo can you some more shots please ?? They were Sprite frames also were made in England like the Wassel frames.
Someone has changed your shifter assembly to an Ace 100 style ( 1 up 4 down) or an Ace 90 assembly ( 1 up 3 down).
The original assembly said "HODAKA" and was (1 down 4 up) pattern.
Did you get your bike from Roy's ??
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the group!
Paul
thnx paul , im not sure if it is a wessel or a sprite frame ? you seem to no alot about these bike's!may be you can help me out ? the frame number is 7517 cant find anything about the frame , and my dad did say the person he got it from 34 years ago did change the shifter assembly to a 100 style(thnx for the info on the shifter assembly been driving me nuts lol) i need to no what rear shocks go on this bike mine bottom out soon as i climb on it!and what size chain would go on this bike ? i got it running good now all i need is a chain and good shock's. im from ontario canada (dont really want to spend alot of money on the shocks, tight budget)do you no a good parts dealer for this bike in usa or canada?( do you think the shifter assembly i have is a good set up as in more torqe for this bike ) havent road it yet, hope fully in a month i will have it out! no this was not from roy's, this came from a guy named jim fuller.i will send more pic's on the weekend when i get it out of the house.thnx again for haveing me in your group and info would be greatly appreceated. thnx nubinizer (brian is my name also)im very excited now that some one no's about these bike's
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Here is an article I got from the fellow I bought some parts from:
Sprite Avenger.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Brian thanks for this post. I also have this article as a copy which does not look great. Any ideas where to find a Cycle Canada magazine from October 1972?? I have been looking on and off for a few years now. This is the only article or information on this bike I have seen except sales receipts etc..
Terry Faust who owned the company has passed away and all my leads are now gone.
The brake stay is 7 3/4" center to center
Shocks are 13" eye to eye
I hope this helps
Thank you
Paul
nubinizer

Post by nubinizer »

thnx also paul that helped me out also! would the chain size also be the same as in the artical? more pictures as soon as this weekend! thnx again!Nubinizer
nubinizer

Post by nubinizer »

BrianZ wrote:Here is an article I got from the fellow I bought some parts from:
Sprite Avenger.jpg
cool ,thnx brian this helped me out also, hope to see your bike in progress as you bring her back to life!!! nubinizer
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes the stock 1972 Wombat's used a #423 chain size and this is what Faust used on the Hodaka Challenger's.
I look forward to seeing photos of your bikes when done!!
Thank you
Paul
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

admin wrote:Hi Brian thanks for this post. I also have this article as a copy which does not look great. Any ideas where to find a Cycle Canada magazine from October 1972?? I have been looking on and off for a few years now. This is the only article or information on this bike I have seen except sales receipts etc..
Terry Faust who owned the company has passed away and all my leads are now gone.
The brake stay is 7 3/4" center to center
Shocks are 13" eye to eye
I hope this helps
Thank you
Paul
Thanks for the info Paul. The Cycle Canada magazines from that time were in newspaper format so they don't survive very well. I sometimes see the magazines at local swap meets so I will keep my eyes open and see if one turns up.

Brian
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thank you Brian !! They must have been like the old Cycle News magazines then.
Take care and see you in Athena!
Paul
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Paul, I'm resurrecting this thread because I've started tinkering with the Sprite / Hodaka trials bike again. One part I am missing is the seat. I suspect that it uses a wood base, but could you confirm this for me?

Thanks,

Brian
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

admin wrote:Thank you Brian !! They must have been like the old Cycle News magazines then.
Take care and see you in Athena!
Paul
For what it's worth, the old Cycle Canada was really a tabloid format inside a loose glossy cover. It was folded twice to equal the size of a regular magazine.

They stuck with this format until about 1980 when they converted to the standard glossy and stapled layout.

I remember that a few months back Brian Zuest posted a 1973 Cycle Canada Wombat test on this forum.
Glove77

Post by Glove77 »

Hi Brianz, how did you get on with this as a project?