More 250ED questions

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

More 250ED questions

Post by matt glascock »

My 250ED has piston port induction. My owner manual and complete specifications publication describes piston port/reed valve induction. Was there a frame number where reed induction was introduced? Was this a case of planning future models with a reed set-up so to avoid publishing another manual, reed induction was included along with piston port induction with the initial ED manual? Finally, was this in reference to a planned reed conversion kit that never saw the light of day due to the Hodaka closure? Just curious here.
Rubinski

Re: More 250ED questions

Post by Rubinski »

I realize that this question is from more than two years ago but I have the same question. I am restoring and upgrading my 250ED and looking into possibly adding reed valves. So any info on whether or not a kit is available would be appreciated. Thanks, Joe
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Ha! As it left the factory, piston-port induction and all, I love the set-up. It has a nice, wide power band that is easy to keep on the pipe in all but the tightest woods course. It struggles to keep pace on WOT and MX sections out of the turns. Reeds would be beneficial here if that's your thing. Caveat here - the motor was completely rebuilt by Hodaka Dave so it runs absolutely perfectly.
swcaudill

Post by swcaudill »

I have a reed valved ED 250 cylinder. I think Mike Perrett got it at Mid Ohio several years ago. I'll take pictures today if you like.
Sterling
swcaudill

Post by swcaudill »

Here are pic's of a reeded ED250 cylinder. This may not work! If not I'll need help posting.

swcaudill

Post by swcaudill »

Well the posting would not work. If anyone wants to see the pictures of the ED250 reed valved cylinder send me your email address.
Sterling
Rubinski

Post by Rubinski »

I am interested in seeing the pictures of your barrel.
Thanks

[email protected]
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Go to "Rich's Taylored Porting". Lots of info on 250 Hodaka vintage reed systems.