Off-Road Toad

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
ToLiveNDieInNJ

Off-Road Toad

Post by ToLiveNDieInNJ »

Hey everyone!

I'm new to the Hodaka world, but not to enduro bikes. I've been riding for 6 years, and my first bike was a '72 Honda SL350. The Toad is a featherweight compared to that bike. My new-to-me Toad would be tough to put back to stock, so I'm going to make it more trail-ready. Possibly some vintage motocross in my future. Looking forward to the journey!

thrownchain

Re: Off-Road Toad

Post by thrownchain »

Welcome, that bike doesn't look that far from stock, might be easier than you think.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Welcome! Lots of great, knowledgeable, smart, and really friendly folks here to help you every step of the way. Excellent parts availability for the Road Toad too. I have one just like it and it is a great trail bike with a surprisingly peppy motor. You'll love it!
ToLiveNDieInNJ

Post by ToLiveNDieInNJ »

thrownchain wrote:Welcome, that bike doesn't look that far from stock, might be easier than you think.
I think this angle is a bit deceiving. The air box, oil injection and rear turn signals are missing. The tail light is smashed. I think the exhaust is off of an Ace.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

The hardest thing to find may be the air box. ( maybe the taillight) but there are lots of parts out there. Just ask.... there's a few of us on the east side of the country and we're a helpful bunch.
ToLiveNDieInNJ

Post by ToLiveNDieInNJ »

thrownchain wrote:The hardest thing to find may be the air box. ( maybe the taillight) but there are lots of parts out there. Just ask.... there's a few of us on the east side of the country and we're a helpful bunch.
Thanks for the help and advice! I definitely want to get an original exhaust. Pretty sure I'm leaving some power on the table without that original expansion chamber.

The first ride was awesome, btw. Never owned a 2 stroke and I'm so glad I do now.

matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey, starting out with a runner puts your Toad way ahead of most project bikes. Just a few odds and ends here. Rear indicators and tail light lens can be fairly easily acquired and for not an insane amount of money. Many people removed the oil pump in favor of the guaranteed oil delivery running premix provides and you might wish to do the same. You will likely want a stock air cleaning system - if for no other reason than its insanely cool and really iconic. You can run a pod for now but stay out of the water and mud. Now would be a good time to get acquainted with Terry and Bruce of Hodaka Parts, Inc and Hodaka Parts Idaho, respectively. They are our main parts houses and really great folks who do this for the love of the brand. I know that Terry is in the process of launching a used parts division so you might be surprised at how easily and reasonably you can bring that baby back to stock trim. Check them out. Finally, I agree - you are leaving lots of power on the table with that exhaust system (which I'm not sure if it is even a Hodaka pipe- me thinks not). Anyway, its presence illustrates an important point. There is a wide range of parts interchangeability with Hodakas so only after you do a full inspection and inventory will you know exactly what you have. That's all part of of the fun of vintage bike ownership and of all the possible marques you could have scored, you picked the best and most well supported of them all. Post lots of pictures and ask lots of questions. Folks here are very helpful.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello and welcome, we can help with exhaust, air box, tool box, and tail lite, just let us know Hodakapartsidaho.com see our web site, and then is you wish give an e-mail after your make your wish list. thanks Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Your Toad has an Ace 100 or a Dirt Squirt motor. That's likely why the exhaust was swapped out (the original exhaust won't mate up to the Ace cylinder). Without the original motor it's not a candidate for a restoration, but it well make a good little trail bike. You could probably strip all the lighting and other bits off to save some weight.

Brian
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Good eye, didn't notice the motor was the wrong one. But yes, would make a nice little trail bike, or could be roadable with a little work. Not super fast, it's only 100 cc.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yep. Missed it. Back to the parts interchangeability. You can find a Toad engine with a bit of searching. Much quicker that a stock Ace motor.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hi! I’m finishing up a Model 99 Road Toad like yours right now! They are correct in telling you it’s not the correct motor or pipe. The 1976 Model 99 Road Toad has an all black, motor/tranny with reed valve intake. It also has the black exhaust shown in the picture below. This one has the wrong fender up front.And I included a pic of the motor as well.

Bruce Young already said he has turn signals & a tail light lens. I would ask him if he has a rebuildable Model 99 motor and exhaust. And maybe a carb for it?

I know Terry at Hodaka-Parts.com has the air box you need as well. You could also find a Wombat air box & repaint it Toad green!

Lots of ideas and friendly folks here to help out! If you want to go back to an oil tank, I have an extra oil tank and maybe an oil pump I can send you! Options, anyway. Welcome to the Hodaka world! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
5AE5D08B-4D68-44BC-AF10-7DD895E0CF66.jpeg
8EB8A6B8-FEBE-416A-A099-EA83E4EFFF20.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
ToLiveNDieInNJ

Post by ToLiveNDieInNJ »

BrianZ wrote:Your Toad has an Ace 100 or a Dirt Squirt motor. That's likely why the exhaust was swapped out (the original exhaust won't mate up to the Ace cylinder). Without the original motor it's not a candidate for a restoration, but it well make a good little trail bike. You could probably strip all the lighting and other bits off to save some weight.

Brian
Thanks for the heads up, Brian. The seller was pretty sure it wasn't the original motor. I will check for some markings tomorrow.

Since the Ace 100 and Dirt Squirt use the same cylinder, could I throw a Squirt exhaust on this? I'm mostly interested in getting this engine running as best it can, and fixing any leaks. Not looking to do an engine swap at the moment.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The Ace and Dirt Squirt cylinders are different in one small way, the Squirt cylinder has two holes drilled in the fins to attach springs that hold the pipe in place. The holes are in the third fin up from the bottom, on either side of the exhaust port. The Squirt pipe uses a flange that screws onto the exhaust port to support the pipe. You can see how it all goes together on the Hodaka-parts.com site.

So yes, the Squirt pipe will fit but you will need the flange and a couple of springs. There is also a clamp that secures it to the frame tube that runs from the seat to the swing arm, and a hanger from the rear of the frame.

Brian
ToLiveNDieInNJ

Post by ToLiveNDieInNJ »

Learning more about this bike every day. The engine code on the case is E-25008 or 26008, so should be either an Ace 90 or 100 that was in a non-Hodaka frame or a replacement. No holes in the fins for springs, so can't be a Dirt Squirt engine.

ToLiveNDieInNJ

Post by ToLiveNDieInNJ »

Anyone know what exhaust I can run with an Ace engine and 99 Road Toad frame? I used the hodaka-parts contact form but didn't get a response.

New bars and a pad arrived today. The stock bars are bent.

Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, give me a call 1--208--571--2823, I have a pipe that will fit and its on sale on my site right now. Hodakapartsidaho.com take a look. I have parts and pieces to fit that bike, but not the turn signals, just sold what I had, I do have the tail lite and maybe other small stuff you need as well. Bruce Young If we can,t help you I know Hodaka-parts INC in Missouri the largest supplier of Hodaka parts in the US can.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho