Testing for no spark

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dale

Testing for no spark

Post by Dale »

When you encounter a "no spark" condition, how can you go about isolating the problem? Well, here is what I do.

First, disconnect the main key switch (if applicable). The key switch, in the off position, grounds the ignition (black lead at the ignition coil). A defective switch can ground out this lead.

Next disconnect the kill switch (if applicable).

Still no spark? My next move is to test for spark using an external power source. Specifically 2 D cell batteries connected in series to provide 3 vdc. A little solder, jumper wire and an alligator clip (and of course Duct Tape). Here is a picture:
3vdc power source
3vdc power source
This test will confirm everything except the points and possibly an open exciting coil.

Step 1: Leave the main key switch and kill switch disconnected.

Step 2: Remove the spark plug and lay it on the cylinder while still connected to the coil. Make sure that the plug is grounded to the cylinder. Use a wire jumper if necessary.

Step 3: Insulate the points. Use a strip of paper or business card.

Step 4: Connect the negative lead of your 3vdc supply to the stator (ground).

Step 5: Tap or scratch the positive lead of your 3vdc supply at the points wire connection. Each tap will provide a spark at the spark plug.

If you are getting spark by tapping at the points wire, then connect your switches one at a time. Turn the key to the on position and re-test for spark. If spark is still good, then you have a bad set of points OR your exciting coil is open. It is the exciting coil that the 3vdc supply is mimicking. Note that a grounded exciting coil would keep test spark from happening.

If you do not get a spark from your points wire then move your tapping to the condenser. If nothing, then disconnect your terminal plug going to the ignition coil and tap the connection going to the ignition coil (black wire). If still nothing then move your power supply test leads (both positive and negative) clear up to the ignition coil itself.

Note that the only thing necessary to create spark is your ignition coil and spark plug (including the plug wire and cap) If you can not generate a spark by tapping black lead at the coil itself, then the problem is either the ignition coil, the plug wire, the plug cap or the spark plug itself.

If you find that you can generate spark at the coil but not with the stator connected, then standard isolation trouble shooting applies. The best reference that I have found is found beginning on page 71 of the Official Hodaka Workshop Manual (Wombat and Combat Wombat).

I hope that this information is found useful. You can verify an ignition coil on the bench with just the coil, spark plug and the 3vdc battery pack. Use test leads to tie your spark plug ground to your coil ground and the negative lead of your power source. Pretty simple and effective!
Dale
Dale
matt glascock

Re: Testing for no spark

Post by matt glascock »

This is just great information, Dale. What a great technique to contend with the always painful "no spark" conundrum. I have at least a dozen ignition coils of unknown functional status that are going to receive the bench technique right now!! Thanks so much for publishing this!! Its things like this that make the Hodaka community a cool place to hang!!
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

This is a very good step by step process. Thanks Dale!
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Tip-Top information. This is A-1 stuff.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Wow! Great stuff, Dale! I saw this, of course, AFTER figuring out my spark issue was a poorly soldered exciter coil wire to the condenser! But Imma gonna copy this one and save it to my notes! :ugeek: Victor
Last edited by viclioce on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Nice article, Dale. This should be in a Resonator..
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

I agree with Rat. Please do this as a Resonator article with pix. Excellent, clear and sooo useful!
Bob
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Yes! Please add more pics showing how you’re using the contact points for testing. I’m sure it will help those who are more visually guided than text guided! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Dale

Post by Dale »

Well, the responses have sure been positive so this definitely seems like a topic that needs to be addressed further. I am currently awaiting a new ignition coil to come in the mail in hopes of fixing a problematic 94 Wombat motor. Once that coil arrives and I start my Wombat project I will take pictures and put together something for the Resonator.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S. Everything that I wrote in this post is limited to addressing a Go-No Go situation concerning spark. Of course a good number of ignition issues are of the intermittent variety and bring a whole new level of frustration to finding the cause. That will need to be a book rather than a single article...
Dale
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Dale don,t forget to supply a schematic of the tool, with you post, a visual is worth a thousand words. Bruce--- Clarence Tabor at Hodaka days this year, drew up something just like your tool set up for testing spark as well, he did it on a note pad piece of paper, hand drawn, I am going to keep it considering how famous Clarence has become, probably will have him autograph it this year at Hodaka days. HA Ha Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Dale, are we talking about the 94 that you let me ride in the Bad Rock? The one we changed 6-8 plugs on? Haha and what fun that was! Thanks again! Or was it this one? Maxie
Attachments
DSCN4623.jpg
Dale

Post by Dale »

hodakamax wrote:Hey Dale, are we talking about the 94 that you let me ride in the Bad Rock? The one we changed 6-8 plugs on? Haha and what fun that was! Thanks again! Or was it this one? Maxie
You're quick Max! I am planning to rebuild the stator on your Bad Rock ride (Wombat Jill). New wiring, new ignition coil and remotely located condenser. If that cures the issues with this bike then I will do the same for Wombat Jack. Always more projects than time. We will see how it goes.

Yes, it was 6 or 8 plugs and one brake lever as I recall... :lol:
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Back story on the brake lever, pretty please.
Dale

Post by Dale »

matt glascock wrote:Back story on the brake lever, pretty please.
All I know is that Max arrived at the first rest stop with the front brake lever hanging by the cable. He will have to tell the story of how that came to be as there were no witnesses. The fun part for me was to once again open my fanny pack (one of many on this day) and this time pulled out a brand new lever. A minute later we were good to go. This was all fun for me how? Well I take an incredible amount of ribbing from my wife for my fanny pack. She is not a fan of it at all. I always try to point out it's worth. Doesn't work though. We could rebuild a bike along the trail and I would still hear about it when we head out on the next adventure.
Just know that what ever Hodaka model you are riding on the Bad Rock, I'll have a plug for you if needed.
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Dale, there is such an awesome satisfaction when you can come through with the right part at the right time and save the ride. That makes up for an awful lot of ribbing, I'm sure. I've pushed bikes enough times to fully dig that degree of preparation. Smart! I'd be willing to bet you've been in your share of enduros and X-C races.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Funny stories on the Bad Rock adventure. I'm still indebted to Dale for furnishing bikes, multiple plugs and a lever plus just watching over me. Just like the old days only everyone is riding half century old bikes. Not ten minutes into the ride and Dale is experiencing horrible clanking noises and I've fouled a plug. Dale is apologizing and I am laughing. Just like the early days. Things happen and were usually dealt with. Part of the adventure. As for the lever story, I did get into the corner too hot but I didn't understand why I was suddenly face down on the ground. A quick inspection and I discovered that the rear brake lever was pointing straight down and had gone over center on the brake cam and locked the rear wheel. No more hard rear braking for the day and Dale did divert me from a particularly steep downhill that would not have been a good idea, saving me yet again. I rated the experience to one of the top ten life adventures thanks to Dale. Thanks Dale! IOU!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Well I am glad that I left the rest of the story to you Max. That is more than I knew before! Note to self: Add rear brake inspection to list of items for Wombat Jill. I am still sorry that you got a dirt nap out of it.

Just FYI, the clanking on my ride was a failed chain roller. I spent the rest of the ride with the chain riding on the frame member. A little nerve racking but made it all the way. Good times!!!
Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

matt glascock wrote:Dale, there is such an awesome satisfaction when you can come through with the right part at the right time and save the ride. That makes up for an awful lot of ribbing, I'm sure. I've pushed bikes enough times to fully dig that degree of preparation. Smart! I'd be willing to bet you've been in your share of enduros and X-C races.
Lot's of truth Matt. But, unfortunately, no enduros or X-C in my past. I just grew up in a remote part of Idaho and walking home was usually going to be an overnighter. Once a Boy Scout always a Boy Scout they say...
Dale
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Excellent Dale! I also take a bit of ribbing about being "overprepared". That all stops when I whip out the day-saving item on cue and off we go. Briefly. Then it is back to the ribbing. I'm cool with that. The Boy Scouts are really onto something. Great to hear "the rest of the story", Maxie. Now, if y'all will excuse me, I have Wombat brakes to inspect.
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Hey Dale - This little article is an amazing bit of help. Got me from pulling out all of my hair on a non sparking Wombat. Still sorting it out, but this got me past a real stumbling block.

I hope you don't mind if I post this on my Yamaha site (with credit to you of course!) as the ignitions are almost identical, so the system should be helpful for those folks as well.

Thanks again!

Gary
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
Dale

Post by Dale »

Makotosun wrote:Hey Dale - This little article is an amazing bit of help. Got me from pulling out all of my hair on a non sparking Wombat. Still sorting it out, but this got me past a real stumbling block.

I hope you don't mind if I post this on my Yamaha site (with credit to you of course!) as the ignitions are almost identical, so the system should be helpful for those folks as well.

Thanks again!

Gary
That is great! Yes, you can post it in any fashion that you wish.
Dale
Dale
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Great.

I was able to get the problem solved. It was misadjustment of the points. However, this thread helped me eliminate a bunch of dead ends!

See you at HD19!
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Dale, much needed info; I am going to cut and paste and save in a file, to be sent out to customers whom call and ask about solving this condition. "NO SPARK CONDITION". I hope along with the other good post,s about how to build a test tool, and how to relocate a condenser up by the coil, under the tank, away from confines and heat of the magneto, this may help new people in the Hodaka World solve their own problems, without spending hours and hours of remove and replace parts, along with knowing what is going on in the first place, May also save a few $$$ and grey hairs. Thanks Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Dale

Post by Dale »

Sounds good Bruce. Hopefully someone will benefit from your efforts.
Dale
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I’ve copied and saved this Dale! Great write up! Thanks! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat