Rear chain adjusters??

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
motovate

Rear chain adjusters??

Post by motovate »

Looking at a set of rear chain adjusters and they say for 92B+, 93,94,95 & 96. Anyone know if they will also fit an 01 or 02???? Not sure if there is a difference.

Thanks - LBM
olddogs

Re: Rear chain adjusters??

Post by olddogs »

The early chain adjusters will work, but not be visually correct if you are doing an accurate restoration. The back plate was just a piece of open ended U channel on the early models, the later Toad style had the ends of the U channel capped and rounded off. Looks better and works better in my opinion.

The head of any 6 mm bolt with long enough threads can be modified with a bench grinder to work. The 6 mm locknut is also generic. I like to use the nylon lock style.
motovate

Post by motovate »

Thanks. I'm thinking mine are too crusty to clean up nicely so I was looking @ the new ones. Sounds like the rear "U" channel rear caps are just different but the axle hole is the same size?? I thought there were some smaller or larger axles that might be an issue.

LBM
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The rear axle is the same model 92 thru 03. Not the same for the front though. The axle changed when they went to the conical front hub.

I like the newer adjuster plates as the cupping of the plate centers in place better on the end of the swing arm as you tighten the adjuster nut. I like to snug the axle a bit before I adjust the chain. It keeps pressure on the adjusting plate as it pulls the wheel back. A really loose axle can shift and give you a bad alignment after you tighten the axle nut. I also make sure my adjuster bolts are the exact same length before I begin. That way you can measure the amount of thread sticking out to ensure a straight wheel. I have seen many chain adjuster bolts with pieces cut off the end to clean up bad threads. This will give you a crooked alignment if you don't catch it.
motovate

Post by motovate »

Great Info - thanks - good point on length of bolts - I always pay close attention to the alignment marks on the swing arm - haven't got to the point yet of looking for them on the hodaka - I suspect if they were there they are gone now because I got the frame and swing arm powder coated. Every thing is still in pieces but getting closer to putting it together - I wonder what other surprises I'll have :)