Igniter Box for Ace 100

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JackM

Igniter Box for Ace 100

Post by JackM »

This little kit came along with my Ace100 that I got last year and is used to replace a points ignition. Its very small, measuring about an inch long, and came with installation instructions. Has anyone used one of these, and if so, do they work well?
carb & other parts 022.JPG
dirty_rat

Re: Igniter Box for Ace 100

Post by dirty_rat »

Yes, I have used one and it worked well. The biggest problem with it is timing the engine. You have to re-position the stator plate to get it times right, which entails either marking the mounting holes slotted, or drilling new holes at the correct positions.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

To be more informative, when using this item (which replaces the points and condenser) the timing is triggered by the magnets in the flywheel. As they pass the coils, the electrical current being produced changes, triggering the device to produce spark. Because of that, the stator plate has to be lined up correctly to produce the spark at whatever timing location you wish. To determine that you need to use a timing light and mark where the spark is occurring. Then, rotate the stator plate to get the timing set to where you want it.

Also, as there are two sets of magnets in the Ace flywheel, this unit will give a spark twice for every revolution of the crank (the second one being 180 degrees from the first). As this second spark is occurring near bottom dead center, there is no issue with it.
JackM

Post by JackM »

I just today saw your comments, DR. Thanks for that. I'll probably stick with the points ignition for now, though.