Super Rat Rescue: Round 2

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rlkarren

Super Rat Rescue: Round 2

Post by rlkarren »

Helped rescue another Rat from a Briggs & Stratton transplant. DPO, (emphasis on the "D"), started disassembly last fall and left it out in the weather all winter... It was all I could do to keep from expressing my displeasure... surprisingly, it looks like the only thing missing is the kill switch and the pipe is it's worst casualty, otherwise it's complete.. even down to the original NITTO tires...
IMG_4690.jpeg
bobwhitman

Re: Super Rat Rescue: Round 2

Post by bobwhitman »

Nice find, Roger. I'm still toying with the idea of your trans...
Bob
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Been absent for a while since my wife decided the Home Remodel was more important than 2-stroke smoke. (And I also got distracted with a 'new-to-me' 73 Yamaha RD250).

In the meantime, I've finally gathered all missing parts. The final piece was a Kill Switch (thanks Dan Killian). I even stumbled on a complete second engine with a reeded top end. Came with the complete throttle and cable and the ignition coil. I couldn't pass it up.

I was able to get access to a vapor blasting cabinet and between the original engine, Dale Dvorak's cases, and this spare, I've got a quite beautiful engine shaping up. Photo's forthcoming.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Great to hear that you are back at it Roger! Looking forward to the pictures.
Dale
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Mock up so far:
IMG_6026.jpg
I'll put the two remaining seals in and set this aside to work on the clutch, piston, magneto, and side cases.

Dale; These are the cases I got from you. Internals and intake from my spare engine. It's looking like I may have enough spare parts to build an F-code engine after all.

Back story: the original engine on this bike was destroyed. It had completely worn through to the snap ring groove and broke through on the other side. I found a set of F-code cases at HD19 that I was going to use until Dale offered a better solution.

RLK
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

She’s looking rather nice Roger. Now just figure out where to add the trombone slide! LOL!!! Bike even has the $400 chain guard! 😉 Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90