Hate to be a downer

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
SuperRat01

Hate to be a downer

Post by SuperRat01 »

Hey yall, I know this is not Hodaka related, but I am having a hard time dealing with something lately. Wednesday afternoon, I was on my way home from work on my motorcycle and I saw the immediate aftermath of a motorcycle wreck. I knew it did not look good. Later that evening I checked the internet and found out that an 18 year old had died. The motorcyclist had tried to beat the red light while heading south and a van heading north tried to beat the light while turning west in front of the motorcycle. I ride my motorcycle everyday to and from work. Just like most of you, I am addicted to bikes. I have seen wrecks before, but this time it has me questioning this whole street bike thing. Is it worth the risk? I have been riding for 45 years and it is my life, but I have not been on my bike since seeing this accident. I am sure my addiction with motorcycles will win out and I will start riding again soon but it does have me concerned. I just bought a new Yamaha last week and I would love to ride it, but my mind set is not right.(There have been four motorcycle deaths in my county in the last two weeks) I have really no one to talk to about this (my wife does not like me riding street bikes). So, I was wondering if any of you have had a similar situation and what did you do to get thru it? I would love to hear some thoughts. Linc
thrownchain

Re: Hate to be a downer

Post by thrownchain »

I bought a '86 Goldwing so I could ride with my son, the first time we rode together was at his funeral as he was killed in an motorcycle accident. His wife was riding on a separate bike, and witnessed the crash and was with him till he died, nothing could be done. We both agreed that we wouldn't stop riding as a tribute to him. His kids also learned how to ride. Ride like every possible driver out there can not see you, cause most times they don't, or won't.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey Linc, I think its safe to say that anyone who has ridden a street bike has gone through a similar thought process as you are experiencing now. Here are just a few thoughts you might sift through in search of some peace of mind. First, you detailed a young rider making an absolutely critical error in judgement. He did not adhere to one of the guiding principles of riding - that being to ride defensively. He made the committed step to attempt to beat a red light, I'm sure by WOT acceleration through one of the most hazardous technical obstacles we encounter on a motorcycle - the simple intersection - made so by the unengaged driving public. In doing so left himself no options - no way out. Rookie mistake leading to a sadly often repeated tragedy. As a motorcyclist, it is our responsibility to maintain a continuously hyperacute awareness of not only what the idiots we share the road with are doing, but more importantly, what they MIGHT do. As a general surgeon, I'm often involved with the aftermath of these perfect storms and always review the scene investigation with the involved police officers. Unfortunately, an alarming percentage of motorcycle fatalities involve errors of judgement on the part of the motorcyclist in some way. Excessive speed, aggressive/offensive riding, inappropriate lane changing, alcohol/drugs, and inexperience are frequent themes and all share one thing in common - they all limit options for avoidance of a crash. Sure, there will always be the possibility of an unavoidable crash involving even the most seasoned rider but at least, experience is the best hedge against this. I have 100,000's of miles of seat time on- and off-road. I still take riding courses from time to time to reinforce safe defensive riding skills. You have 5 years more experience riding than me. That is your best protection, but you might consider taking an advanced riding class just for some peace of mind. I also play a little mind game when I'm street riding. It is basically a "what is he/she going to do and how will I respond?" every time I encounter traffic. It keeps me defensive and engaged. While nothing I've said here takes the sting out of yet another motorcycle fatality, hopefully I've provided some food for thought. The crash you described could have been avoided had the kid on the bike made the correct decision and hit the brakes instead of the throttle. What would've you done at that intersection at that time? I think I know the answer. It has something to do with the fact that you've been street riding for 45 years and, well, here you are.
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Thrownchain, I am so sorry about your son. My brother was age 23 when we lost him in a car wreck. I know how devestating it is on those left behind. A son would be even worse than a brother. I think it is good that you honor him by still riding. I pray you find peace.
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Matt, you are right on all counts, I think it is just me feeling my own mortality now that I am getting older. I have seen motorcycle wrecks. I have been in motorcycle wrecks. It just that living in the Daytona area, everybody rides, so you hear about a lot of motorcycle fatalities. It gets exhausting. Matt, to your point about advanced riding classes, I think that is an excellent idea. No matter how long you have been riding, you will always pick up something new in these classes. Your incite has been most helpful. Thanks, Linc
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Count me out on street bikes. The time has come. Good rider friends have been lost through the years. I read the other day that your are thirty times more likely of being killed per mile driven on motorcycles than cars. Easy math. I've been really really lucky a couple of times in life and have probably used up many of my nine lives. I still may putt to coffee in town and the trails are still fun but we are all kidding ourselves on motorcycles as transportation. As Reg Pridmore, world champion Superbike guy and my instructor at the time told me, "You can be turned to juice on the freeway, there's some you just can't get out of." Just my opinion and observations so be careful out there!

Olde Maxie
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Maxie, I cannot disagree with any thing you have said. I have been in four,what I would call major wrecks (where bones were broken). Three of them in the dirt (one on my Super Rat) and one on the street involving an animal. I have had many broken bones, plates, screws, three back surgeries and a total of 13 weeks in hospitals, but....DAMN I love motorcycles. Linc
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Linc,

As you noted in your first post, the motorcyclist tried to beat the light (as did the other driver), and that is what caused the crash. As long as you are riding defensively and watching out for the other guy, you will probably be fine (especially someone like you that has been riding for all those years). The only other suggestion I could give you is to avoid US 19 as much as you can.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

A buddy of mine told me you never get over it. He was living in Fontana, CA. at the time when his 3 year son was killed. His little boy was helping his dad pull weeds in the front yard when he heard a car skidding in the road. David, his name, turned to see what it was and saw something flying through the air. It was his 3 year old son. Try getting over that. He told me he re lives that day every day. That probably happened 40 years ago. And we think we have problems? Joe Ormonde.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

They say time heals all wounds, it doesn't, the most you can hope for is some level of acceptance.
Last edited by thrownchain on Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

I have worn out a couple of Goldwings and Hodakas on the street, and taught many a person to ride. Off road riding experience is valuable for the road and teaches you how to handle a bike in changing situations. I have been lucky and never had an issue. I always stress these few things. You cant be arrogant, you cant be in a hurry, and be aware that every car on the road has the potential to kill you. Trust no one else's driving skills or assume they see you.

I always ask new riders: do you want your headstone to say "died in his sleep of old age", or "but I had the right of way and he should have stopped".
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

When I was younger, my first bike was a Kawasaki F6 125. When I bought the bike & brought it home, my Dad took me by the arm and said, “There are old motorcycle riders and there are bold motorcycle riders, but, there are no old, bold motorcycle riders.”

He told me this in reference to riding on the street. He was right. I learned to be bold riding off road. But I learned to be safe First, before riding on the road.

You have to learn to ride like you are invisible. I also ride in the street always looking for a way out, in the event something happened. Especially at intersections, merges and last but not least, railroad crossings. I started riding off road when I was 14 & started riding on the street, as soon as I got my license. I’ll be 62 this August. That’s a long time going from a bold to an old motorcycle rider! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Victor, I agree with what you saying. I can remember when I first started riding on the street. I rode back and forth to high school . Back then, I took all of my blinkers off, removed one of my mirrors, I wanted to look cool. Now when I ride, I look like neon sign with all my bright colors. Also, you are right about not riding bold on the street. There are so many knuckleheads on the road these days and no one has common courtesy anymore. I wish it was 1979 all over again!!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

That was my first street riding too! I used to leave after the bus, go the back dirt roads to school which was about 4 miles longer & beat the bus to school.

There was this elevated railroad crossing in the dirt road. The bed was elevated above the roadway by a good 2 feet! I used to hit that crossing wide open in 4th gear, once I was accustomed to it! I was jumping that Kaw about 60 feet beyond the tracks! Lots of carefree, I’m not gonna get hurt thinking back in those days! I was 16-17 years old! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

My pet peeve are the people who look you in the eyes, and still pull out if front of you.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I've read expert comment that one of the things which happens is that car drivers stop, look for other CARS, they don't see a CAR . . . so they proceed. I've been there, done that on the direct eye contact with the driver of a car which then pulled out in front of me. The car driver's first hint that anyone or anything was in the vicinity was the sound of my full body block on the side of the car. I was about 20 years old then and have done two major things for safety since that time. 1. A majority (98+%) of my riding is off-road and 2. When on the road I always assume no else see's me.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I ride on and off road. Most on road is secondary roads or lesser. I stay off the interstate as much as possible, even in my truck, too many squirrels out there.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

:idea: :!:
Last edited by thrownchain on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

As much as I respect motorcycle riders, being on the grey side of life, I have missed seeing a few. And on a grey ugly morning I have missed seeing a few grey ugly cars. Look at the cars that set and wait until your about a block away and then they pull out e r w ??---------Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

A lot of people on motorcycles are sure they made eye contact with the cager, before being hit. It’s that “I don’t see four wheels & a large, wide mass of steel, so there wasn’t anything there!”

Many times, when riders are sure they made eye contact, the driver wasn’t looking at you, they were looking right through you! You just weren’t in their conscious vision! Maybe subconscious, but that’s not actually being seen!

Riding like you are invisible is the biggest piece of advice I give other riders. After all, how many times have we had close call incidences and the offending driver said “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you!”?????

And the smaller the bike, the easier you are to “see through!”

My VL1500 is a big bike, with a fairing, hard bags & a trunk! And the “I didn’t see you comments are why I painted it Candy Tangerine with a gold metallic base! No one has said they didn’t see me since I painted it this color scheme! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
F1015338-2420-4EF5-BCAC-FE132004C1E5.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
SuperRat01

Post by SuperRat01 »

Victor, for sure they can see you on that bike!! I am a believer in bright colors while riding. You know, you have to be aware of people pulling out in front of you, but there are just as many people texting on their phones out there. As if we need another thing to concern ourselves about. I ride to work every morning in the dark and I routinely see a guy in a little truck swerving. At first, I thought he was a drunk, but after encountering him a couple times, I realized he plays with his cell phone every morning. I would hate to be stopped at a traffic light and this goofball hit me from behind. A lot of you say that you ride the trails rather than deal with the cars on the road. That is rapidly becoming a non-option for me. There has been so much growth where I live it makes me sick. All the trails that I grew up riding on are now someone's homestead. Back in the late 70's there was not a better place to ride than my little area of Florida. Back then all of us kids rode dirt bikes, now, I never see any kids riding dirt bikes. I miss the sound of two-strokes buzzing by my house!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Yeah, about all we have in the area now is Croom, but that is usually so jam packed with juveniles on ATV's you are almost better off on the street. I haven't even gone back there in a few years, but might give it another try soon, just to see what it's like now. Otherwise, as you say, no place to ride legally. Not at all like it was in the 1970's.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

And back in the 1970’s no one really cared where you rode unless it was under till!

We had a 27 mile loop in the woods and back roads we used to ride. From my house we road east down the road on the south boundary of the subdivision. Then we went south through the woods, & even crossed a small stream on a bridge we made out of logs and “borrowed” plywood (I didn’t do the “borrowing!”) we came out of the woods on a farmer’s dirt road which ran along the east side of his fields. Then down his driveway out to a dirt road which was about a 7 mile ride back to my house. We used to do 4 lap races on that route! That was back in the early ‘70s. Folks didn’t even complain about the noise from our 2 stroke motors back then. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
RylanCoffey

Post by RylanCoffey »

This is what my parents are scared of , I was wanting to get my MC liscense when I turn 18 but my parents are not worried they are worried about idiots not paying attention. People dont respect motorcycle drivers and it's sad. I'm considering just sticking to the trails and track.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Rylan, take the safety course if there's one in your area, whether you get the license or not. And even if you get the license, you don't have to road ride. My cousin lives in the area where he used to ride, now he can't even start his bike without someone calling the cops. Sad