New member with a 73 Combat Wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
gammatg

New member with a 73 Combat Wombat

Post by gammatg »

Hello! I am a new member here. I picked up a 1973 Combat Wombat from a gentleman I work with whose father bought the bike brand new. I believe the owner was in his 30's when he bought the bike new. It was very well taken care of and never beat on. He kept it in a dry old barn. It still has its original tires and they are in great shape. The only thing its missing (I believe) is the front number plate. I'd like to find an original. Here are some pics as found. I hope to give it a good cleaning this weekend. Shouldn't take to much.
Attachments
20180420_150746.jpg
20180420_150842.jpg
socalhodaka

Re: New member with a 73 Combat Wombat

Post by socalhodaka »

WOW, what a find. Do not restore that baby, it is a true survivor. It still has all the parts that normally come up missing, the rear number plate bracket, rear pipe mount, kickstand and chain guard . Clean it and ride it, give a good check of the rubber boot between carb and air box and you may need to replace the seals in the motor but you will tell when you start it. Hell what Im I saying you may already know all this. Whats your background with bikes? Let us know what it is and where your at, good chance someone with a Hodaka is near by.
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

Really nice example!
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
gammatg

Post by gammatg »

Thanks guys! I gave it a good careful cleaning this morning. Im a mini bike guy and I've never owned a bike like this. I couldn't pass it up with the story and condition. I took some electrical tape and made a 1 on the rear number plates. I saw a picture from an old picture online that had a similar number on it. It can come off easy. I'm in Buffalo NY. I have to put some fresh gas in it, but it does have a nice blue spark. It even has the original dealer sticker on it!
Attachments
20180421_120227.jpg
20180421_120345.jpg
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

You probably all ready know but check the air filter also. Good thing is you pretty much can get all the parts you need, plate for front, grips, air filter, kicker rubber and more from any of the Hodaka vendors.
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

That needs a proper display area. In the living room bay window maybe?
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Great score. Before you ride it too much, it’d be worth it to leak check and pressure check the engine to make sure the seals and such are up to snuff and holding. There’s videos on YouTube and instructions on doing so here on the forum.

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Also, make sure that the fresh gas you put in it is mixed with oil (a good quality 2 stroke oil, such as Yamalub2-R).
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

Awesome find!!...get a kick start rubber on that kicker to help save the paint on the airbox cover...