wanted wiseco piston rings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
thrownchain

wanted wiseco piston rings

Post by thrownchain »

Needed Wiseco # 1969 cs. I need one set, check your spares and see if you can help me out. Thx.
viclioce

Re: wanted wiseco piston rings

Post by viclioce »

I’m not sure what that (part?) number means, but I do have a set of .020 oversized for a 100cc RT Wiseco piston. Can you give me more specifics? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I've got a stock size Ace 100 Wiseco piston, 2 ring unit. The part number is out of an old Wiseco listing for Hodaka pistons. Need the rings, got a cylinder waiting.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/wiseco-p ... -80-651973

Seems this same ring fits Yamaha 80 and Suzuki 85. Wonder if the piston also fits....?

Also, this part number appears to attach to a single ring, not a two ring set. Might want to verify your part number.
Last edited by Hydraulic Jack on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hydraulic Jack
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

My parts listing.
Attachments
IMG_20171206_213928.jpg
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I think by the early 80s they had gone to a single ring set up.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

No telling if the two rings are the same as one each. Contact Wiseco.
Hydraulic Jack
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Try this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/311638226318?rmvSB=true it's a two ring set.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

A 2 ring set would be CD. A photo of the piston would help. If it has a dykes ring on top it`s probably a 1969LC ring set. A single dykes ring piston takes a 1969 L series ring, but the LC ring set will work: you just have a spare ring.Joe Ormonde
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

After looking at some of the ebay postings, they seem to be using generic pictures of the rings showing both 2 stroke and 4 stroke ring sets. And some don't have confidence inspiring feedback.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

First things first: are you sure it`s for a Hodaka? Look inside ! It will have a H100 and use large snap rings, or, it will have 1017 on the pin boss, use spirolocks and NO oil holes drilled. I have 6 Wiseco Hodaka pistons and only 1 uses a CS ring. It`s a spirolock style 1017. I have another one that`s identical and takes the L series ring. You may have a RM 100 piston. Wiseco Hodaka pistons until recently use 1 ring. Wiseco Suzuki use 2. It will have a 402 on the pin boss and larger diameter pin bore. If you have the correct box, the ring code will be stamped under the lid. It can be a little tricky. When Hodaka went out of business, pistons were hard to find: everything was! The shop I went to in Norco California was gone. It was called Rural Cycle. That`s where I bought my 1971 Super Rat.Still have it! All the other shops that carried Hodaka parts no longer did. So now I collect any and all parts for my Rat. Pistons !!! I`m obsessed with collecting pistons and rings to the point that my collection has to be thinned out. I keep finding more! In my closet, under my bed: I NEED HELP!!!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, we in the Hodaka World, are in search of Pistons and rings, all the time, would it be possible if one has a large collection of Pistons and rings collected over the years and wishs to cut back a little send in List of them listing brand, size and etc. and contact info. There are a lot of customers for them out there.. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

There there...I sense you are experiencing a little stress here. Rather than thinning the collection, which will just breed more stress with a side of regret followed by a frantic round-the-world desperate search for replacements, I recommend a two hour Super Rat woods ride. Then freshen up the top end. There - aaaaaall better.

Matt Glascock, HAC-C (Certified Hodaka Addiction Councillor)
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Crap. Than would have been funnier If I had posted before Bruce. What he said is absolutely true!
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

I know!!! That`s why I Need an Intervention from HOARDERS!!! I have stuff that HPI and Paul Stannard DON`T ! It`s like giving away my children to strangers. I have 2 used Super Combat gears on ebay for sale that are obsolete but, no one wants them! I bought them as NEW. No , they were used! But because of the fact that there are only a few left on planet Earth I kept them. I`ll just pull the listing and hang them on my Christmas Tree. I`ll weld together my Model 92 ring sets and play ring toss like Beldar and his wife did. Or, wind chimes!! I`ll turn all of my DH reed assemblies into Roadrunner calls. That`s what they sound like when you blow through them: a Roadrunner! Levity! Try it once in a blue moon guys and gals!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Easy way to tell if the 100cc pistons are for a Hodaka or another make is to check the wrist pin size. Hodaka is the only one with a 12mm wrist pin, all others (such as the Yamaha 80's and Suzuki 85's) had larger wrist pins.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Boy: you just made a long story short! A photo of that piston would probably solve the mystery of the rings Quick! Just like a past posting of some primary gears by viclioce . He had some primary gears he was trying to figure out. Well, in 1971 the Super Rat came with 2 different primary gears: both 63 teeth. One is just thicker than the other. My 93A has a manufacture date of September 1971 and came with the thick gear. I`ve ran that gear from day 1 and it`s in my Rat spinning .
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I know what you mean! I have stuff sitting around here that, some day down the road, I hope to produce for someone in need that would be just this side of a conjuring and elevate me to Hodaka hero status.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

No markings except for the 50 and the arrow on top. 12 mm wrist pin, narrow slots for the rings.
Attachments
IMG_20171209_145439.jpg
IMG_20171209_145421.jpg
IMG_20171209_145409.jpg
IMG_20171209_145358.jpg
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

That piston looks like a Mahle piston for a Sachs. Some of their pistons used a 12mm pin. I have some and they measure 1.645 inches long and are stamped N4 on the side with a triangle. The Hodaka pin is 42mm long or 1.653 inch long. The wiseco CS ring is .039 inch thick.The Wiseco LC ring #2 conventional style ring measures .062 inches thick. Measure that pin! I`m on a quest now and hope someone can ID this piston. That`s what this chat group should be about.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I bought a Wiseco oversize piston for another Ace motor I'm doing, I tested the rings off that piston in this piston and they were a good fit for thickness. ( not for diameter). If this was for a Sachs motor what cc would it be? 100 cc is 48 mm, 125 is 54 mm.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

There are more measurements needed when trying to find pistons and rings from another machine that will fit Hodaka, Pin dia and length and top end bearing size and length is as well. Also the location of the Pin on the piston, in relation to top and bottom of piston. The dia of the piston is as well very important, dome design and specs are also important, in relation to top ring location to top of piaron. Piston rings are almost the last area of concern, yes the width is important but type or design of the ring is as well. There are several diff type of rings depending on what type of cylinder you have cast iron or Almn. Please don,t jump to conclusion just because it looks like a Hodaka piston, there are many pistons out there and each had their own ideas on how to make pistons and rings. Be very careful to check off all the box,s. Bruce Ask your local Hodaka engine builder for help, Rember most of them have already gone thru this search. Lots of variations.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

010 oversize ART piston compared to what I believe is the Wiseco piston. Pin is 12 mm x 42 mm. Distance from pin to top of the piston is the same. From pin to bottom of skirt is the same. Running in an Ace 100 iron cylinder. Skirt shapes are slightly different, the Wiseco being slightly narrower. Running standard Hodaka wrist pin bearing.
Attachments
IMG_20171210_152756.jpg
IMG_20171210_152746.jpg
IMG_20171210_152637.jpg
IMG_20171210_152603.jpg
Modracer70

Post by Modracer70 »

Total Seal piston ring company will make you any ring you want, I had a couple sets made a couple years ago for a vintage snowmobile, that also had a wiseco pistons, very reasonable price.

Thanks, Dave
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

What I see about this piston that`s different are the locations of the anti-rotator pins. Spaced pretty close together. I have some Webco pistons that the rings stagger on each side of the exhaust ports. Nice for adding 1 large boost port for reed valve application. Yes, Webco USA pistons. I have a piston that I can`t ID. It`s identical to a Model 94 piston, takes model 94 rings but has a 16mm pin. Inside it has (Y56). Above it is a logo that looks like a crossbow. I need to post some photos. The problem trying to figure out parts of ALL kinds is that they made so many. I have a feeling we may be looking at a Snowmobile piston. All I know is that the self proclaimed experts like myself haven`t figured it out yet!!! Joe Ormonde