Wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
wack

Wombat

Post by wack »

G'day Hodaka lovers,
I am brand new to your group and have recently scored myself a 94A Wombat. It is in pretty good condition, for it's age. Thanks to strictly Hodaka for supplying video and information on identifying my bike, which brings me to my question. According to the frame # C-24651, I have a 94A (6/1973 by the way). The exhaust pipe, however, looks like the 94, with silver heat shield and the cut off type end, plus I have brass petcocks (white fuel cap). I am from Australia and was wondering if there is any difference in the export models or whether I just have a "bitza".
Cheers, Peter Darnett. (Wack)
P.S I'll send photos when the seat comes back from being re-covered.
Hydraulic Jack

Re: Wombat

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Since Hodaka was made in Japan, I suppose all of them are exports. But I don't think they were made differently for export to Australia. Probably had some parts changed about.
Hydraulic Jack
wack

Post by wack »

Thanks Hydraulic Jack, It's just that the rest of the bike looks dead original, apart from having the ignition and battery removed, but you never know, a lot can happen in 40 plus years.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Based on my own direct experience, there does indeed appear to be some detail differences between "start of use" or "end of use" of some small parts regarding machines built for export to the USA and machines built for export to Australia (and no known records to identify those differences).

So finding an "early" flame thrower pipe on a "later" model Wombat 125 on an Australian machine might not be out of line - especially if it was produced about the time (either slightly before, or slightly after) of the specification change-over for US production. For small parts, like fuel petcocks . . . "re-discovery" of a batch of brass petcocks on a shelf in a back room at the factory might indeed have resulted in their installation on a batch of bikes destined for Australia. (and we'll never know for sure about the individual items on your scooter)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

And weren't the mufflers for the USA-market bikes fitted with ForestService spark arrestors? Possibly the Oz-market bikes were not and came with a diff muff.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
vmxken

Post by vmxken »

Hi Wack and Ed - Aussie models do seem a bit out of step and as Ed knows, my 12/72 Wombat has some 94A inclusions when it shouldn't, and, has some really oddball bits like straight-cut primary gears. I bought my Wombat from the original owner in Oz and they said that's how it was delivered so it's just another of those Hodaka mysteries. Enjoy your Wombat, Wack, and seeing as you are in Qld, come along to the VMX Magazine Classic Dirt event at Conondale, June 18-10 next year and show me your Wombat in person.
wack

Post by wack »

Thanks VMX Ken,
I've seen your name and some pictures on this website, as I bumble my way through the internet, with my two fingers gliding their way across the keyboard with the dexterity of a swollen foot. Conondale is only a stones throw away and I look forward to meeting you there.
Thanks a lot Bill and ED too. It gives me a fuzzy feeling to realise other people sit in their sheds staring at their Hodakas like a new born son or daughter, too.
vmxken

Post by vmxken »

Look forward to catching up Wack and obviously those dates were meant to be June 8-10 2018.