ace 100 project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

Re: ace 100 project

Post by givergas »

well finely got some time to tear into the motor. had my helper ,the brains of the out fit, to help out .to me [ha] it looks pretty good no real wear marks, again this coming from me , the seals look 50 years old and the bearing on the magneto side has to be replaced dose'nt feel smooth at all it had water in the magneto side when i got the bike. the other bearings fell real smooth and silky. the gears look brand new and so does the bushings. so correct me if im wrong . i should be able to replace the seals and the one bearing and the o-ring on the kick shaft and be good to go....albert oh and a well a question i should be able to pressure test with the side covers off the cases and the head torqued down when im done ...
Attachments
IMG_6274.JPG
IMG_6273.JPG
IMG_6272.JPG
IMG_6261.JPG
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

givergas wrote:i should be able to replace the seals and the one bearing and the o-ring on the kick shaft and be good to go....
yes, but I would highly, with a really persuasive nudge, highly recommend replacing all the bearings and seals while you have the engine cracked open. Did I mention I would highly recommend it? Bearings and seals are not really that expensive. I buy bearings in bulk from vxb.com.

$0.02

Roger
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Yep, all that Roger said. Bearings are really cheap and even though they feel smooth they might be approaching failure. Hey, the project is looking fun! It looks like the boss has taken your job!

Maxie
givergas

Post by givergas »

ok i will replace them i guess thats why i asked have to take advice when giving and thanks for giving it . yea im trying to keep the grandson in the loop i have to remember he's only 9 he does like the idea of motorcycling. today we went to brainerd international raceway and watched some CMA super bike races really cool he will be racing in he's sleep tonight...albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

sorry it was the CRA superbike racing ..long day
djdesantis

Post by djdesantis »

Hi Albert, looking good, I am doing one of these too and was wondering what you are going to use to get the right paint color? Is there a market brand that closely matches, thanks!
givergas

Post by givergas »

i dont know 1 did a lot of reading and i came up with chevy orange engine paint # DE1620. but as i was walking out to see the paint color it was i walked by my lawn mower its a simplicity and thats not a bad color for it either. my way of thinking is its going to look soooooo good when i get it done 99.99 percent of the people that see it wont know whats wrong or whats right any way, so i did my best and got it painted..... albert
PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Roger,

I’m new to this, and am in the process of my first rebuild. I was hoping you could share with me how to identify bearing and seal part numbers that you buy from vbx for a ace 100.

Thank you,

Peter
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

PM
givergas

Post by givergas »

hey all, got the engine rebuilt. thanks for the nudge roger and maxie once i got it apart it was rather strait forward and new spark plug no more leak in the head thanks again. new bearings, new seals, counter shaft o-ring . pressure test 6 down to 5 pounds bout 14 min. real small leak in my home made tester i could not get stopped. so in the end glad i did it, we learned a lot. so now, i hope depending on comments, its off to find out where the spark is hiding. once more thanks for the help.....albert
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

New points and condenser? Cleaned the points? Good ground? Good coil? New plug?
givergas

Post by givergas »

ok well after a week of taking the magneto off and cleaning putting back on and looking at it about a dozen times , cutting the ignition coil and re soldering the wire on , thought it was loose, and reading all i could find about it i found that I put the wire from the condenser to the points on the wrong side of the washer that keeps it from grounding out fixed it and now am a proud owner of a healthy spark. sure keeps you humble ...albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

Had a nice fire yesterday and does somebody have a picture of the main switch taken apart wondering if I'm putting mine together wrong.I should say I must be putting it together wrong
Attachments
2018060795144641.jpg
givergas

Post by givergas »

after buying a switch, found that i was missing a contact piece put in piece and now the switch works great . 3 weeks trying to find the spark 3 weeks trying to shut it down. nice to move on...
givergas

Post by givergas »

well theres some more to do but its time to see if it runs, i have to wait for my assistant { had to go camping with mom and dad....geez } so early next week. let the tension build up a little.... albert and yes that is ace hardware black duck tape on the seat.
Attachments
IMG_6415.JPG
IMG_6411 (2).JPG
Dale

Post by Dale »

Hopefully it will run as good as it looks.
Dale
givergas

Post by givergas »

https://youtu.be/tkM1R_4hrKw dont know if this will work but, my assistant got back, we wheeled the hodaka out of the shop. put a gallon of pre mix in and it took 8 try's but it started.ran pretty good shifted got to 3rd gear be for running out of room. needs a few tweeks , wetness on carb bowl, speedo needle does not work, clutch needs ajustment, cant kick start in gear, clutch engaged. but it started, thank you all for with out all of you on this forum this sweet little bike would not be resurrected it would be another rust speck in time or worse the folks that had it have a crush business and it probably would not go well so thanks again. so now keep it running and running good .yahoo..albert ....pay no attention to the man and boy
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hey, all fixable and another great bike back in business. Awesome. Just an FYI - primary kick starting (being able to kick crank the engine to fire it up with the transmission in gear and the clutch pulled in) didn't appear until the painted tank models came out in ~'75, so with your Ace, you will always need to find neutral before starting. Doing otherwise will not work and will stress the starting mechanism.
givergas

Post by givergas »

thanks for that info saved me some digging. as i said this could not of happened with out this forum...albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Albert. I have my seats rebuilt & upholstered at a local upholstery shop. He charges me $80.00 & cuts away 1/2 the old foam to keep the bottom half stiffer, and then puts new foam for the top half. Then he puts new vinyl on and makes the seats look GREAT!

Duct tape is just a short term fix & will eventually start depositing tape glue in the crotch of your jeans! So ask around in your area about who is good at motorcycle seats! :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
10CC9650-F612-4F65-B2AD-C21BA39816F0.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

thanks victor. the tape is definitely only temporary as are some of the other cosmetic pieces but thats a good idea. theres a old school mom and pop motorcycle shop not far from me and they are very friendly they build, rebuild, restore all kinds of bikes, and they like people to stop by worth a ride down. your seat does look better than duct tape ..albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

The only seat,of 4, which I haven’t had to recover is the one on my Ace B+. Paul Schwarting must have had it done prior to my buying it from him. And $80, to me, is a spectacular price, when you consider someone wanting $75 for a cover alone, which you have to install yourself, if you know what you’re doing. I prefer to leave that kind of job to someone who knows what they are doing. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90