95CW – Air Cleaner Joint

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rileybill

95CW – Air Cleaner Joint

Post by rileybill »

I’ve installed a reed cage and new spigot type carburetor on my 95 CW and my air cleaner joint is now too long. I want to retain and utilize the original air cleaner box. Any suggestions?

I was thinking about making a cut in the middle of the air cleaner joint so I have two halves with the end pieces and then somehow trying overlaying the two pieces to create a lap joint and then “super-glue” the two halves back together.

That's one idea .... I was hoping there was something better.
Attachments
20170729_120230.jpg
20170729_140359.jpg
matt glascock

Re: 95CW – Air Cleaner Joint

Post by matt glascock »

Hodaka Dave fabricated one for my reeded CW out of a snowmobile air cleaner joint so that I could retain the insanely cool original air box. You might contact him for advice at [email protected].
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Hodaka Dave gets a huge Thumbs-Up.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

When I installed my reed valve I didn't need to do any mods to the air boot. I was prepared to, not needed. Here is a photo.
boot installed
boot installed
I did need to dent the exhaust pipe to put it on after the carb was installed. Perhaps the issue is yours is a spigot mount carb.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
rileybill

Post by rileybill »

Hi! Thanks for the input and pictures. I have the Heat Block still on there. Do I need that? Removing that will help.
Attachments
20170730_202140.jpg
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Yes, take the heat block off. The spigot adapter serves the same purpose as well.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

You can certainly try removing the heat block, but I think you will find that you are still some ways from simply bolting it back together. The difference is in the mount method. The flange mount clearly fits the space. The spigot mount still needs to have the spigot adapter. You would need to remove both the heat block and the adapter to push the carb close enough to use the original boot. Measure the thickness of both the block and adapter, and then measure the distance the boot overshoots the air cleaner. I think you will find they are about the same distance. So you can either chop off the end of your boot and hope it mounts and seals well,enough to work, or you can find some other air boot that fits the space and mounts both to the carb and the air filter, or you can mount a flange carb.
Hydraulic Jack