Road Toad Photo

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Alberta Mike

Road Toad Photo

Post by Alberta Mike »

I'm gonna try posting a couple of photos here, I've done it once a while back with some kick starter questions, hopefully I will remember how to do it.

This is a '76 and I bought it up here in 1993 from a young guy who lived nearby. He said his dad (a Canadian snow bird at one time) bought it in Arizona brand new (I think) as a commuter vehicle for shopping, etc. between the mobile home park where he wintered and the nearest town. I'm not sure if was ever registered up here. It has only 1100 miles on it and I don't think has seen much sun in its life despite being in Arizona for a while. Still has the original Nitto tires which at least look "like new" if 41 year-old tires can be described that way.

I fired it up for the first time in 24 years a couple of weeks ago and have had more than a lot of help from a number of forum guys here on this site. It's not insured or registered so I haven't really been able to take it out for much of a spin, just up and down the block a few times (and I have a cranky neighbor). I weaned it off using both pre-mix and injector oil this morning and it runs really nice with just the injector oil. I'm now using #1 premium gas with no alcohol which is available up here at Shell stations. Clutch seems to work good (I think) but I have some issues with cable free play (none) and will probably remove a shim or two to get that fixed up. I've been posting questions on that this past week and have got a ton of good advice and help. My wife is a bit antsy about me getting back into motorbikes, I rode street bikes for years until 2013 when I decided then (at 67 years of age) to give it up. Anyways, here's a look at what I have ...
Attachments
Road Toad 2.JPG
Road Toad 2.JPG (48.86 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
Road Toad 1.JPG
Road Toad 1.JPG (52.02 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
matt glascock

Re: Road Toad Photo

Post by matt glascock »

Beautiful bike, Mike. I really like the "coffin tank". My '75 Road Toad has the traditionally-shaped Hodaka tank (which is also cool). Your bike looks pristine. Good score!
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

Looks new to me.

For what it is worth, shims are used to set clutch arm free play. Cable free play is set with cable adjusters on either end of the cable. Don't set cable (hand lever) free play with shims. If the clutch arm is set correctly and has just a bit of free play, like in the 1/8" to 3/32" range with the cable detached, that is set correctly for purposes of adjusting the clutch, and unless you flog your bike, you may never have to adjust the shims again. Cable free play should be accountable within the range of the end adjusters on the cable, and if the cable won't adjust correctly within those two adjusters, I would suspect the cable itself. Anyway, cables do stretch in use. If you set the cable using the internal shims, you will quickly be doing it again as the cable stretches.
Hydraulic Jack
Alberta Mike

Post by Alberta Mike »

Hi Jack, well that's what I meant to say I guess .... ie there is no free play at the clutch arm (at the clutch cover location) where it enters the cover.
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

No free play at all suggests that your clutch might slip..(which it does, right?)...because if the side cover/pressure piece contacts the throw out bearing before the side cover gasket surfaces meet, tightening the side cover screws actually presses the clutch somewhat, same as if you squeezed the lever partially while riding.

The nice thing about a Hodaka is that once you get all the bits and pieces sorted out, you can ride it for a long time without doing much. Simple and durable. If you can't get it registered in your Province, mail it to me.
Hydraulic Jack
relic

Post by relic »

Hi from northern Ontario...that Toad looks very nice! That's a model I'd like to own someday. Hope you can register and insure it and have some fun riding it.
Ken
I wonder where this goes...?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I'd say concourse resto material there except they are so fun to ride, I couldn't stand making it a trailer queen. I really wish mine had the 18" rear/21" front arrangement rather than the 17"/19" setup on the "75 edition. The 18"/21" configuration is what all my race bikes run and I like it better for trailing too. Nice!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Mine is a year older than yours. But I sure love the Toad color!!! Is also what made my grandson want a Road Toad! Yours looks great! :mrgreen: Victor
Attachments
IMG_4620.JPG

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Don't think I've even heard of anyone with a Toad here in Oz :?
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner