fuel cap issue

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Victor

fuel cap issue

Post by Victor »

Hi folks, I recently finished a Wombat 125 with my daughter. Bike running well yet each time we take it for a ride the fuel cap fills with fuel and leaks out through the breather hole in the cap. I have to take the cap off and literally drain the cap of fuel. I've never seen such a thing. Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve? All thoughts much appreciated.
Thunderdogdownunder

Re: fuel cap issue

Post by Thunderdogdownunder »

Does it have the black rubber gasket which sits on the inside of the fuel cap ..
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Is the vent/drain hole in the rubber gasket plugged?
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yep. If you're missing the gasket the cap will leak like a sieve. Also, if the gasket is present, make sure it isn't roached or dry-rotted. If that's all good, does the bike vibrate like crazy? That could be anything from loose motor mount bolts to an out-of-balance fly wheel, to an issue with the crank, to shot bearings, to...on and on and on. I have a M94 Wombat set up for MX and didn't particularly like fuel leaking out of the vent hole. I simply sealed the hole with epoxy, tapped in a 1/4" brass tube (you have to cut a corresponding hole in the rubber gasket so the tube can extend through the gasket, and then attached and ran a 16" length of 1/4" fuel line behind the starter number plate. Problem solved. I do see from time to time a bit of fuel entering the vent line but the height over the bars seems to prevent any drainage out of the tube - not any that I've noticed anyway.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

The replacement fuel cap gaskets (still available from SH) have a dome on the bottom to mske a little "breather chamber". There is suppose to be a small, 1/32-1/16" , hole in the bottom of the dome for breathing and to allow drainback of sloshed fuel. Sometimes during the molding process that bottom hole gets plugged. There is also a vent hole in the top of the cap. Make sure both those vent holes are in fine fettle.

On the vent hose fitting: DuBro, inc makes R/C aircraft parts. They have barbed fuel cap fittings. The fitting that threads onto a #10-24 tapped hole is sized to fit a 5/32" hose. The hobby shop that stocks these fittings will also have 5/32" Silicone rubber or Urethane fuel hose that can be used for vent line. That setup.will make you the envy of your riding buds.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Ooh - that does sound slicker than my DIY job. I will look into those.
Victor

Post by Victor »

Thanks for all the comments. The cap is a new replacement and as you called it the vent in the bottom of the dome on the gasket was almost closed on the back side of the gasket. Opened that hole up, will let you know how it goes but seems like that was the issue.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

When the gasket is molded, there is a little tit in the bottpm of the dome that is supposed form the.drain hole. The liquid rubber is forced into the mold and flows over the tit, making a flap.over the hole after the rubber cures. Over the years I've gotten almost neurotic about double-checking replacement parts.

Glad it works.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
Victor

Post by Victor »

Went for a ride yesterday, much better day when you get home and all the fuel is in the tank instead of dripping all over the outside! Thanks again
Attachments
IMG_3044.jpg