Just got a wombat project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Moose_h1

Just got a wombat project

Post by Moose_h1 »

Hi guys, I'm new here and the new owner of an old wombat. It in really rough shape, but was my dad's race bike back in the 70s. Lots of stuff has been stripped off for use elsewhere, but the price was right. I think my first step on it is getting wheels back on it, and was wondering if a thunder dog wheel,axle,slack adjusters and brake hub would fit on the bike? Seems to be what I can find for it right now without going all new and breaking the bank. Thanks for any help and I will be needing a lot of it as I start to dig into this restore
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Just got a wombat project

Post by Bullfrog »

Generally speaking, no, the Thunderdog rear wheel stuff isn't going to fit your Wombat. The axle is too long (I think), possibly larger diameter (can't remember for sure). The snail chain adjusters simply won't work. The sprocket carrier won't fit in the Wombat swing arm with the hub. Hub and rim are probably OK (might need different bearings to match the proper axle) . . . but you'll probably replace bearings anyway, right?
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Moose_h1

Post by Moose_h1 »

Ya I would. Thanks I will keep looking for the right parts. The bike is a 1972 so I think it's a model 94. Does the 03 stuff interchange for the most part?
Hydraulic Jack

Post by Hydraulic Jack »

I would say for the most part, the 03 is a different bike entirely. The 94 Wombat is probably most closely related to the 92B+ except the engine, and even that is mostly different in displacement.

Are you planning to restore the bike or simply make a rider out of it? Might help to post a picture so we can see what you have and what you don't.

There will also be the mother of all Hodaka swap meets this June in Athena Oregon at Hodaka days. Good place to find parts.
Hydraulic Jack
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

Also the thunder dog brake hub has bigger spoke holes other than that its the same . I used a 125 hub when I built my dog and only had to drill out the spoke holes

Rich
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Post a photo of what you have to work with.
Moose_h1

Post by Moose_h1 »

I will post pics when I get home and snap a few. But a description is a good frame, forks, blank handlebars. Have engine,swing arm and suspension. Have a good rear fender and twisted front fender. Have pretty good gas tank after some cleaning, and a sear that would probably be ok with a recover. So what I can think of needing right off the top of my head is front and rear wheels axles and brakes, rear sprocket, all new cables and linkages, control switches and chain guard. I would like to do a frame up restore on it but not making a perfect, correct show piece. My old man, whose bike it was, suggested parting it out, but I think it would be cool to ride around on his bike
Moose_h1

Post by Moose_h1 »

When are the dates for hodaka days this year?
Moose_h1

Post by Moose_h1 »

Ok sorry for posting like crazy here, but I just found a exhaust pipe from a 92a for $200 in good shape. Heat guard painted, not plated. Is this a good buy? Also front and rear wheel assembly's complete with brakes and axle for 200 a piece from same bike/model. Should I keep hunting a better buy or is that about going rate? Thanks
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Hodaka Days - June 23-25, 2017. (!)
Keep the rubber side down!
Moose_h1

Post by Moose_h1 »

Ok guys here is pics of what I got. It's been a bit picked over and been in a barn for 30 years. Only 700 miles on it though
Attachments
IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0789.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG
IMG_0785.JPG
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Nice! Barn fresh for sure, but very cool. Looking forward to seeing it all come together!
MTRob

Post by MTRob »

Moose
I have two 125 72 Wombats I was going to part out. I have almost everything you need. Wife says get these gone. Contact me
What I don't have Paul will.
MTRob
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

Moose_h1 wrote:Ok sorry for posting like crazy here, but I just found a exhaust pipe from a 92a for $200 in good shape. Heat guard painted, not plated. Is this a good buy? Also front and rear wheel assembly's complete with brakes and axle for 200 a piece from same bike/model. Should I keep hunting a better buy or is that about going rate? Thanks
These parts will not work with a 94 Wombat. Although the pipe is the roughly same, the exhaust nut is welded on and too small. The tires, (if they do indeed come from a 92a, are 17". The Wombat uses 18" rear, (cushioned hub), and 21" front.

Bill Chapman compiled a compatibility list that will help you find interchange parts. You can find it here: http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/v/vspfile ... slist2.pdf

I've had a couple projects that were in worse shape so it's certainly possible to bring it back. Look forward to seeing the progress.

Roger
Moose_h1

Post by Moose_h1 »

Thanks for the list roger. That's tons of help. MTRob, how do I contact you? That would be awesome to get ahold of some parts/bikes. Where are you located at?