bike jack

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

bike jack

Post by matt glascock »

Just a quick question. What do you use to jack up the frame of your bike for tire work, shifter adjustment, etc? More importantly, how do you stabilize the bike while on the jack? Not that I don't have a good system already. Not that I didn't just watch a Wombat nearly fall to its death (lucky catch). :oops:
Zeek

Re: bike jack

Post by Zeek »

I had to catch my Z1 900 once from about half way down.
If I couldn't have held it, I was prepared to throw myself under it to save it. :lol:
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Matt, excellent question. My favorite device is a metal milk bottle crate from our racing days in the '60s. It was affectionally named "The turkey crate" " by the racing crew. It's still with me after all these years. All manual of course but fills the bill 90% of the time. I'm also a fan of hanging for assembly which can have radical changes in height even on one end. I have a large I-beam support across the shop and use tie-downs for such applications. Third choice would be this somewhat clunky Harbor Freight lift (about $100-S150) which is kinda big but stable and really worked out well on a Yamaha XS-650 restoration. When the bike is lifted the whole thing can be rolled around the shop which is plenty handy. More than one way to skin a cat and these are my three methods. Just a few ideas!

Max
Attachments
Cheap, klunky, big but effective lift
Cheap, klunky, big but effective lift
Tie down hanging system
Tie down hanging system
The "Turkey crate"
The "Turkey crate"
Last edited by hodakamax on Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thanks Max. Like many, I too have used a milk crate at the track, albeit a cheap plastic one. Nothing like the elegant, yet heavy duty "Turkey Crate". I love it!! What I really dig is the suspension set-up of yours. I'm going to MacGyver one here in my shop. With the Wombat, I had it on a crate, but when I took off the front wheel, the balance shifted and the bike wheelied off the crate. I barely caught it. With your suspension rig supporting the rear of the bike, that would've never happened. That Harbor Freight rig looks cool and I'm sure really great for a big bike resto but probably a bit intense for dirtbike work. I'm with Zeek. I would have caught the bike with my face if necessary!! Thanks fellas!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Combine the Harbor Freight jack with a drive up ramp and you have your work at the right height. Very stable too. A block of wood under the tire opposite of the end you pull off keeps it from tipping. A zip tie allows the frame to be tied down for removal of both wheels.

The jack is also available in aluminum. That might be nice but also at the expense of stability?
20170202_165030.jpg
Dale
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Besides a full motorcycle lift, my usual jack is a K&L jack with custom pads to fit the frame. Having dropped a bike off of a floor jack once I'm picky about stability.

How well does a lift stand like this one work? I'd like to have something portable and useable solo in the field.
moose_racing_lift_stand_black_750x750.jpg
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Great suggestions fellas. I have a stand like the Moose Racing one shown by Bill. I use it for a pit stand for my modern SX bike - not that I'm no longer strong enough to horse the thing around :-). The problem is that in its fully down position, its still too tall to slide under my Hodies so really, it provides no real advantage over a milk crate.
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

The steel milk crate gets extra points for holding the gas can when inverted.........
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

Now that I've gotten older it's harder to hoss even a light bike up on a milkcrate. I like the K&L jack but it's too expensive to be comfy toting it around in the field. A light use lift stanf can be had for $40-50 and if it's too tall for the Hodie, well I just added a wire welder to my toolkit and I can now make it fit.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

This one from MSR Racing works well for me. The rubber pad keeps it stable. It is adjustable for the different frame heights. One push of the peddle and the bike is there. The DS is low, while the Ace is a bit higher. I agree, trying to hoist the bike up at my age in not good for the old spine.
Attachments
Spyder on the new stand.jpg
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thanks for showing the MSR stand in action, Rick. I can't tell from the picture, but can you get the wheels off the ground? If not, that would make it a great stand but not necessarily optimal for service work. In your picture, that looks like a trials bike mod with more ground clearance than stock. At any rate, I would like a good track-side stand and that may just be the ticket. Maybe We'll see if Bill can mod one to fit the stock Hodie. Thanks Rick!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Matt. I've used the same Harbor Feight jack to pull the wheels off my Suzuki VL1500! For the Hodakas, I too use a milk crate (plastic) and I pull the rear wheel first, then replace before pulling the front wheel, unless I'm doing both tires at the same time. I think you've already seen enough pics so not attaching any. And now I have the big red HF lift, so working without bending over is a bonus! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Hi Victor. I have the harbor freight lift too. Best money I ever spent. It is not fancy, but there is never a time when there isn't a bike on it.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

You know, you can't argue with a good tool! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:-)
MWL

Post by MWL »

viclioce wrote:You know, you can't argue with a good tool! ; D Victor
:lol: :lol: :lol:
smitty

Post by smitty »

I have used the ATV jacks like the yellow one shown for many years,I like the fact that you can tie the bike or frame down and move it around as needed,lifts high enough to make it ez to work on your bike while sitting on your old stand (mike crate) and both wheels well off the ground
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

How do you strap the bike to the ATV jack? I know its a hassle, but a picture of the bike secured to the jack would be very helpful. Thank you!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I use a ratcheting tie down strap. Raise the bike, then tighten the strap!

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Do you loop it over the seat, through the frame, or over the handle bars?
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Matt, the lift has loops to attach to tie downs and the other ends to whatever. Actually I've never used them as the rig seems stable on a good floor even with the Yamaha XS-650 on it. It rolls around the shop nicely and can be stopped and stabilized with the hand screws.

Max

Here's another picture from their site. SALE! $89.95!
Attachments
NOT my Harley!
NOT my Harley!
Harbor Freight lift
Harbor Freight lift
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That's just great, Max. Thanks for the (as always) awesome images. Here's the good news - we just saw the grand opening of a Harbor Freight store here in our town and I'm going to march right in there and get one of those ATV jacks. I already have their bike lift table which is almost always festooned with the bits and pieces of the latest project so this ATV jack looks to be the ticket when another stable hoist is needed. Now to find one of the stands that Rick uses trackside and I may just retire the Plastic Hometown Dairy milk crate once and for all :-). As alway, thanks to everyone!!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I have found that when at the track and using one of the small bike stands, instead of trying to lift the rear of the bike to place onto the stand, I lift the front wheel and place the bike onto the stand. Much easier and lighter to lift (especially after a long moto - actually any moto feels long nowadays).
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I should mention that the hydraulic cylinder on the Harbor Freight device is really crude. There's no really smooth let down but it does have a series of safety stops that engage if needed. Check it out at the store if you can. It all works but could really be a good lift if they would address that feature. It is only $90 and does what it's supposed to do albeit a bit klunkily.

Max
jleewebb

Post by jleewebb »

Here's my "bike jack." [url=https://flic.kr/p/QzDA1U]Image
By tilting bike side to side while adding 2x4s and 1x4s I can pick it up with minimum difficulty. Don't always, but have been known to run a rope from handlebars to overhead rafter as a safety.