PVL ignition systems

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
RichardMott

PVL ignition systems

Post by RichardMott »

Does anyone know anything about these systems?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerdynamo-Ign ... VD&vxp=mtr
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
admin
Site Admin

Re: PVL ignition systems

Post by admin »

What do you need to know Rick? I will be traveling today but try my cell#
Be back to the shop Friday.
Thanks
Paul
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Paul,

I was thinking about making at least one of my trail bikes (the 03 motor or CW) more reliable, ignition wise. The condensers and points are such a pain to install.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Powerdynamo and PVL are two different systems. The Powerdynamo system is a CDI style, and it has an external flywheel and lighting coils. The PVL is also a CDI system, but it has a small internal flywheel and no lighting coils. The Powerdynamo system would be much better for general off-road riding and a must for a bike needing lights. The PVL is more of a racing ignition. One issue I did find with the PVL is that you must be sure the entire system is WELL GROUNDED to work well. I went the extra steps of adding a ground wire from the stator to the coil mounting area and to the head of the bike. This at I wasn't just counting on grounding it through the frame (where you have to be sure to get good contact between different parts).
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Kawasaki KE, need to machine the backing plate mounting holes.
DSCN7015.JPG
DSCN7007.JPG
DSCN7003.JPG
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

dirty_rat wrote:Powerdynamo and PVL are two different systems. The Powerdynamo system is a CDI style, and it has an external flywheel and lighting coils. The PVL is also a CDI system, but it has a small internal flywheel and no lighting coils. The Powerdynamo system would be much better for general off-road riding and a must for a bike needing lights. The PVL is more of a racing ignition. One issue I did find with the PVL is that you must be sure the entire system is WELL GROUNDED to work well. I went the extra steps of adding a ground wire from the stator to the coil mounting area and to the head of the bike. This at I wasn't just counting on grounding it through the frame (where you have to be sure to get good contact between different parts).
Maybe this should be another thread...but for repainted frames, especially powder-coated, is it recommended to scrape some of the mounting interfaces, e.g., coil, engine, rectifier, etc. to bare metal before installing?