The trip/ the adventure

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
thrownchain

The trip/ the adventure

Post by thrownchain »

Well finally got the Cali trip behind me, but my buddy Murphy of "Murphy's law" fame didn't help any. Started out with repairs to the trailer, which cost twice as much as planned and took 3 times as long. Then had to dump twice that amount into repairs and up grades to my truck. Got all that done and loaded up on Dec 2nd, figure to head out Dec 3 early AM. Hit the road at 6 AM on Sat with a gas gauge that wasn't accurate and a check engine light on, but figured if I stop for gas every 3 hours I would be good to go. Check engine light went out on it's own after a couple hours on the road. Got to Pacific, MO on the first night, got to Grants , NM on the second night, and was making 1st delivery at 2:15 pm on Mon outside of LA , made second delivery at 4:15, more or less, and the 3rd and final delivery around 6:30, job done. Decided to put a few miles behind me the first night, got to Hesperia, Ca and decided sleep was a good idea. Got out and going early Tues and made it to Santa Rosa, NM that night, then on to Greenville, Ill on Wed night. So far the trip was going pretty smooth, but Murphy wasn't done with me yet. Got to Cleveland, Ohio and ran into the snow storm, Had to get off the interstate twice because of massive pile ups on I 90, once in Ohio, once in Pa, the detour in Pa ground to a hault almost in sight of the off ramp, wasted 3 hours waiting for traffic to get moving again. I normally go I-86 across the south side of the state of NY, but decided to go to Buffalo and stay on I-90. Crossed from Pa into NY and was like driving thru a door, roads were 100% better, well plowed and clear. Made it home 12:30 am on Fri. Made the round trip from upstate NY to the LA area and back, with 3 deliveries in 6 days. Tried to add some other bikes to the run , but couldn't get details worked out in time, or people expect to get bikes hauled for $100. Would I do it again? Maybe, but would need more bikes out and back to make it a viable trip. Would like to do some tourist stuff next time, and I like the I-40 route, the old rt 66.