Sealing between in and out foot change covers

Posts from the Old Strictly Hodaka Forum.
Forum rules
Saved posts from former Strictly Hodaka Forum. Read-Only section for reference purposes.
admin
Site Admin

Sealing between in and out foot change covers

Post by admin »

timcc001 - 06/29/12 at 5:29pm

I would like to know what folks consider to be the best method to seal the foot change covers.
Does anyone use that piece of foam that is shown in the parts breakdown but doesn't really show where it goes?
Thanks,
Tim

___________________________________________________________________________________________

dcooke007 - 06/29/12 at 10:21pm

Tim, I use automotive RTV / Silicone sealer. I do not waste my time with the foam....just seal that with silicone sealer also.
Danny Cooke

___________________________________________________________________________________________

BrianZ - 06/29/12 at 10:37pm

I bought a roll of black foam weather stripping with a self adhesive backing. I stick it to the stamped steel plate in the area where there is a gap between the steel plate and the cast shifter cover. It's soft and thick enough that it seals the gap quite well. It's easy to remove and I don't have to wait for it to cure. It's available in different sizes, so you may have to shop around to find a size small enough to work correctly.

Bullfrog - 06/30/12 at 12:00am

I'm a silicone sealant guy too.

RichardMott - 06/30/12 at 12:37pm]

I use closed cell PVC foam with self stick. No need to allow to cure and is easy to replace

timcc001 - 07/01/12 at 12:22pm

The part in question is #38 (highlighted in red).
The big question, however, is what is the best method to seal this entire assembly to the cases - or should it be sealed at all?
Thank you for the replies.
Tim

MTRob - 07/02/12 at 2:16pm

I looked at the broken down parts for my Ave 90 and it doesn't show the foam piece. It must be something added a few years later to keep gum out of that area. I just love this forum i'am learning so much about my Hodaka. Plus you guys are tops.
I looked up that foam piece the part # is 932030 Paul has it for $7.95

END OF THREAD