Project Dirt Squirt

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zeek

Project Dirt Squirt

Post by Zeek »

OK, so it all begins here :D
I bought a rather neglected bike, so the plan is to fully restore it.
So this is it:

Comes with another parts bike, and this bunch of goodies.
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Re: Project Dirt Squirt

Post by Zeek »

I'll need to get manuals etc. But while I'm waiting....
This bike was sold as a 125, but it should a 100 shouldn't it? Haven't checked motor too much at this stage.
Also wondering if it shares commonality with any of the other bikes eg Combats, though I think I should probably put it back together as a Squirt.
Came with a headlight and tail light in with the bits. Do these run without a battery?
Little Squirt owner
Dale

Post by Dale »

Zeek,
Here is a link to the Strictly Hodaka web site that will help you identify exactly what you have for both frames and motors. If it is a Dirt Squirt motor, then yes it would be a 100cc.
http://www.strictlyhodaka.com/Articles.asp?ID=251

Yes, there are going to be some interchangeable parts. Go to the FAQ page on the Strictly Hodaka web site. Look for the link to "Hodaka Parts Compatibility List" under Hot Tips

The battery is only needed if you install the lights. The bike will run without one.

Good luck!
Dale
Dale
DesertRat54

Post by DesertRat54 »

Awwwh, heck, I've seen worse...like just about every time I came back from Mid-Ohio. Besides, the farther away you are from the goal post, the more time you have to enjoy the run. Have fun!

Bill in VA
Bill in Virginia

"A man must know his limitations."
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Zeek, Wow, what a project. You will have some good times ahead. Ya gotta start somewhere so get after it and keep us posted! Looks to be a great adventure. I'm envious!

Maxie
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Thanks all! :D
I do like a challenge ;)
Last project.....
450 Honda:

So checking the site it is indeed a (96) Squirt.
Is the toggle switch on the headlight shell a standard thing?
I'm hoping these can get a roadworthy certificate here in Oz? Hope so, won't be much use otherwise unless I race it.
Think I'll have a million other questions yet, as I know absolutely zip about Hodaka's at this point.
Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

This is a bike I saw at a local display a couple of years ago. Always quite liked what I saw then, so when this project popped up I decided to have a go. :D
Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Are there any Dirt Squirt anoraks on here? :lol:
I'd like to find out more nitty gritty details as I go.
Little Squirt owner
Dale

Post by Dale »

A toggle switch on a Hodaka headlamp bucket is normal. However, this particular switch does not look like an original. The switch is called the emergency switch. It switches the headlamp operation from AC to DC. AC for normal use and DC for an emergency where you need the light to operate when the engine won't...

From the looks of your Honda, these Dirt Squirts have found a very good home!

There are others from Oz on this forum. Hopefully they will chime in regarding getting it licensed for street use.
Dale
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The Dirt Squirt did not come from the factory with a headlight or tail light. Hodaka offered an after market trail lighting kit for the Squirt that included a head light, tail light, wiring harness and switches. The switch in the head light is to switch between magneto power or battery power, but since the bike didn't have a battery I don't think it did anything. I had a Squirt with a lighting kit when I was a teenager but I don't recall the head light switch. They are a fun little bike!

Oh, and nice job on the Honda!
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Thanks guys!
So would the lighting kit have included a battery box arrangement I wonder?

[EDIT]
Just found this kit...
says for (96)? wonder what is done about the battery then?
Little Squirt owner
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Yep, that's the lighting kit for the Squirt (model 96). There was no battery. The headlight was powered strictly from the AC magneto. If I was going to guess, I would say the switch in the headlight was used to turn the headlight on or off since there is no ignition key on the Squirt.
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

BrianZ wrote:Yep, that's the lighting kit for the Squirt (model 96). There was no battery. The headlight was powered strictly from the AC magneto. If I was going to guess, I would say the switch in the headlight was used to turn the headlight on or off since there is no ignition key on the Squirt.
Beauty! I've got all those parts I think, in among the pile of bits and pieces. :D
Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

One of the extra exhaust pipes has an interesting "performance" mod. :shock:
Little Squirt owner
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

I've always wondered about that Trail Lighting kit also. I came late to Hodaka so I don't have "back in the day we used to..." experiences, (unless "back in the day" can be 4 years ago...).

Anyway, In order for the Trail Lighting kit to work, you obviously need the lighting coil too. I know the Combat Wombat didn't have lighting coils from factory, (for which a lighting kit was also available), but did the Dirt Squirt have a light coil installed from the Factory?

If so, this would explain to me why there is no coil in the kit, or was there another coil kit that included a battery tray? It seems rather adventurous to run lights with out some sort of voltage regulation. There must be instructions or notes about a battery tray somewhere, the wire harness seems to include wiring for it.

just curious...

Roger
Last edited by rlkarren on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Yep, DSs had lighting coils as std equipment (later 01 Dirt Squirts too). Check Paul's schematics here on the web site. I dunno about batteries, and yes, some sort of regulator would seem necessary, or you'd blow bulbs... Anyone have a 96 wiring diagram to study?
Bob
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

The Squirt was a "parts bin engineering" bike. It used an Ace 100 engine with a Wombat transmission and a Wombat frame. The engine already has a lighting coil, and the output wires were just tied off and left unused. The lighting kit was standard parts bin stuff thrown together to give the Squirt a headlight so you could ride the trails at night. The Ace powered the headlight directly from the magneto (no battery) and this was carried over to the Squirt. In the Ace the battery was used to power the horn and tail light, and with the emergency switch it could be used to power the headlight.
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

BrianZ wrote:The Squirt was a "parts bin engineering" bike. It used an Ace 100 engine with a Wombat transmission and a Wombat frame. The engine already has a lighting coil, and the output wires were just tied off and left unused. The lighting kit was standard parts bin stuff thrown together to give the Squirt a headlight so you could ride the trails at night. The Ace powered the headlight directly from the magneto (no battery) and this was carried over to the Squirt. In the Ace the battery was used to power the horn and tail light, and with the emergency switch it could be used to power the headlight.
Excellent. That explains things nicely. :D

New question then:
Is there any reference material out there for colours and finishes for a Squirt?
I'm about to send off parts for Chroming, but also wondering what was Zinc plated and what was painted?
Chrome I'm thinking these parts (Mine is a basket case, so not much to work with)
  • Tank
  • Handlebars and holding bolts
  • Fork lowers
  • Rims
  • Shocks
  • Kick start
  • Gear lever
  • Throttle casing
  • Triple clamp bolts
  • Headlight rim and Screws
With paint I have a good sample of the Orange colour inside the air box.
So maybe:
  • Frame /swingarm
  • Chain guard
  • Air box
Zinc plate:
  • ?
Then there's the engine finishes :roll:
Last edited by Zeek on Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little Squirt owner
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Pretty much all the hardware is zinc plated. I think the top triple clamp bolts were chrome and maybe the handlebar clamp bolts. The air filter cage is yellow zinc. Hodaka changed to yellow zinc motor mount bolts at some point in time. I think it was around 1973 but I am not sure.

If you are planning on keeping the lights, get the headlight rim chromed. The screws that hold the rim in place are chrome as well.
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

BrianZ wrote:Pretty much all the hardware is zinc plated. I think the top triple clamp bolts were chrome and maybe the handlebar clamp bolts. The air filter cage is yellow zinc. Hodaka changed to yellow zinc motor mount bolts at some point in time. I think it was around 1973 but I am not sure.

If you are planning on keeping the lights, get the headlight rim chromed. The screws that hold the rim in place are chrome as well.
Thanks, I've added them to the list. :D
I did notice the air filter cage looked to be Yellow Zinc ?

Rear Brake pedal and foot pegs/bar on mine seems to be grey paint.
Front and rear hubs also look to be painted, though I was just going to get them vapour blasted and semi polished?
Little Squirt owner
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

A few more notes:

- The foot pegs and springs are zinc plated.
- The brake pedal and bar that holds the foot pegs should be silver.
- Both front and rear brake backing plate securing brackets are zinc.
- Strangely, the rear axle is unplated, but the end with the hole is painted silver.
- The triangular shaped bracket that secures the top of the air filter assembly to the frame is zinc plated
- The Squirt also has a little bracket that mounts to the handlebar clamps that acts as a cable guide. It should be zinc plated.
- The stamped steel cover that goes between the shifter case and engine case is zinc.
- The brake backing plates and hubs are painted silver.
- The sprocket carrier is unpainted aluminum.
- The outer engine cases are painted pewter. The colour is hard to match but Paul sells it.
- The inside engine cases are unfinished aluminum.
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

A bit done today.
I have the reasonable '73 and a '74 that has the frame and tank badly rusted out.
Stripped what was left of the '73 bike down.
Managed to remove enough spokes from all the wheels I have to get enough for one set of wheels.
The best rims are on the '74 parts bike, but I'd prefer to use the correct date coded rims for the '73 even though they are rustier than the others.
So I'll be sending off all the parts for Chroming shortly, other than the tank...I'll dwell on that for a while yet. :D
Another pile of stuff is being put aside for Zinc plating
Ordered 2-pack paint today which will be matched to the Red/Orange inside of the air box, which has nice colour on it.

The old '74 tank is a bit the worse for wear ;)

Found another sticker from the original selling dealer, the dealership is long gone now, but i hope to reproduce the two stickers and replace them :D

Whomever did the Blue paint last time, never took it far afterwards.
Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

OK, rims stripped down and about to be sent off for chroming along with the bars.
Spokes are soaking in Metal Rescue also about to be sent off.

Little Squirt owner
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

Mmmmm, looks good enough to drink :D
2-pack

Also have a neat Nitto front....not sure if I'll use it though.
Little Squirt owner
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Zeek, you certainly are ambitious! Quite the project. The Honda you built looks great!

Watching!

Max