03/99 transmission

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

03/99 transmission

Post by rtboone »

Greetings

Can anyone tell me if the transmission from a 99RT would work in a 03. From the schematics, it looks like the only differences are the 30T counter shaft 1st gear in the 03 compared to the 31T in the 99, and the main shaft inner race in the 03 transmission. I have a main shaft from both engines, and differences are 4th gear is 11T on the 03 and 12T on the 99 - 3rd gear has 14T on the 03 and 15T on the 99. Does that make 3rd and 4th gear taller on the 99?
Also---Would the 03 engine work in a 99 frame? There is an extra mounting bracket just below the exhaust port on the 03 that the 99 lacks. Do I need to add this bracket to the 99 frame or could I get away without it?

Thanks

Tom
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: 03/99 transmission

Post by Bullfrog »

I'm pretty sure there is a difference in "stack height". Some of the gears must be wider in the 03 because I recall that Mike Lake had to do some machining in his Road Toad cases when he installed the 03 transmission in the Toad cases.

I think the 03 engine will bolt right into the Toad frame . . . and I think you could get along just fine without the extra engine mount.

Hope that helps.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!