Roddy boy

Noob here, some questions

Post by Roddy boy »

image.jpeg
h
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.83 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
image.jpeg
Hello from Calgary Alberta. Just picked up a Wombat barn find in pretty tough shape. Although showing 1200 miles and complete, it has moisture damage. Managed to get spark after cleaning up the old points and coils and flywheel, so that is positive. Awaiting new ignition parts and some carb items, and with a clean tank, it should start. Once running I will be able to assess whether the engine needs a complete tear down.
image.jpeg
My questions concerns those nice looking engine cases that you are all displaying on your restored bikes. How do you get them to look that great? Mine have flaking, corrosion, and other problems. I have access to media blasting. A friend has a powder coating set up and oven, which I intend to use for the frame etc.
Just a bit of history, have had many bikes over the years, currently have a Vstrom and a DRZ. In the seventies I bought a used Ace 100 when I was a fisheries biologist working here in Alberta. That little bike took me every where the truck wouldn't, gear and all. Dropped it into creeks, got it restarted, never failed. One spring many years later, it wouldn't fire up, so some neighbourhood boys got it for free for a school project. My fondness for the Ace prompted my purchase of the Wombat.
Interested in any advice on engine case restoration
Calgary, Canada
socalhodaka

Re: Noob here, some questions

Post by socalhodaka »

image.jpeg
The center cases here were bead blasted then ball burnished , the outer cases are painted with the pewter paint from Strictly Hodaka. I think my next build will have the outer cases burnished also as I really like the look and it very durable.
Attachments
image.jpeg
---

Post by --- »

From appearances and discussion, ball burnish is the way to go.
GMc
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I would start with a steam cleaning, get mud, crud and grease off.-----Clarence
---

Post by --- »

You would probably have to thoroughly clean and degrease anyway. I don't imagine someone would toss grungy cases into a burnishing medium.
GMc
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Yep, disassemble, get all the grease and dirt off it, power wash, steam clean, whatever you have access to. Then you'll have a lot better idea of surface condition and the process that will work best. Also check for cracked and broken areas. Side covers, chain area, etc.