Opinions on eBay parts for Hodaka?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
z1kzonly

Opinions on eBay parts for Hodaka?

Post by z1kzonly »

I know this forum frowns on parts for sale. But I see many restorations and re-builds.
I was wondering how many people look and search eBay for used parts?
I have searched eBay with different results? One word, one name or model throws the whole search off.
You type vintage, it brings up a lot less parts, you type Hodaka motorcycle parts and you get a lot more, type the model or name of the cycle, that changes. I recently sold some used parts to a member here.
Then I cleaned up some leftover items, put them on eBay, I don't see a lot of sold items. I see a lot of motorcycle dismantler's selling dirty and rusted parts at high cost? I don't know much about these motorcycles at all
I did find out they were built very strong, with great engineering! Heavy frame and swing arms. I liked the zerk fitting in the steering neck.
Also the swing arm shaft with the zerk fitting at the end of it. I slid the pivot out, and it was like new!
I do restorations on 70's Kawasaki Z1-KZ 900's. I just happened to come across a few 75 Road Toad items.
I was just wondering? Trying to get an idea of value on used parts.
Hope I don't stir up anything, or cross lines of demarcation that offend anyone. I have been on several other forums over the years. From vintage mini bikes to drag bikes to Harley Shovelheads!
Thanks for your time.
RichardMott

Re: Opinions on eBay parts for Hodaka?

Post by RichardMott »

Z1,
eBay can be a great source for parts that are not available from Paul, Bill or Bruce. But as you have seen, many of the parts are rusted, bend and in generally poor condition. Sometimes I think the sellers think they have us over barrel, when in fact, for those of us that know what is available new, we have the upper hand. If you need a frame or wheels, eBay might be the way to go. for rubber parts, electrical items etc., not so much. We all need to be well informed buyers. Always check with the suppliers first. We need to keep these folks viable if we want to continue supporting the Hodaka brand.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

As always it's a buyer beware situation. I've seen guys trying to sell obviously wore out parts on ebay. And sometimes the pics don't accurately depict what you are gonna get. Best bet is to do some searching before you buy from anyone. The suppliers should be your first choice. As for selling, know what you have and be honest about it's condition when selling. If aren't sure what's what, say so. Someone may help you out with the info you need.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

You must be careful with the hodaka pats on eBay. They will say it is a super rat part but it could be a ace 90. I would never buy a counter shaft or a kick start shaft without a visual. Many of the parts should be scraped, a good vender would have a better score. But some rare parts could have value . You cannot beat Strictly Hodaka they are the glue that brought this all together and keep it together. ----------Clarence
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

I may get blasted for taking part in this subject, but I too like Taber say be careful on e-bay, I. sell direct to customers as Paul and Dan have used parts and pieces, and we always ask for frame and eng., and possible a picture of part or bike whenever possible, One has to be careful on both side of the sale or buy. Problem with e-bay sales are that lots of items are being sold by whom do not know the Hodaka, as well not all but most are persons whom found a box of vintage Hodaka items and think its a gold mine, and go for it. Be careful no matter where you buy or sell items, you must know what you are looking for or selling and better reference and pictures. Las but not least e-bay takes a commission on all sales, That is how they stay in business. Also sellers beware, if you use their service through Pay Pal, you must give money back if challenged in anyway, without getting the item back. I know it cost me a lot of dollars in the past, while a person used a stolen card and then claimed the items where wrong and made a claim and I could not challenge anything, I lost both the money and products, all over use of a stolen card. It was a mess. Last but not least, Paul and Dan are experts in Hodaka and if you give them the correct reference info you can expect proper products each time, and if you have an issue they will work with you, don't try to fool them. The Hodaka world has its on site it can use if needed, Hodakaclassified.com, try it. No cost. Not much use but it was started to help with problems people have with e-bay. I know people have never had any problems with e-bay over the years but, still watch out, as we move though to years more and more none Hodaka people are selling Hodaka proper parts, Support them, they have supported you over the years. Bruce Young Hodakaparts.com IDAHO, sorry Paul and Dan, I just had to give my two cents.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

PS A sentence dropped out of my post, Support Strickly Hodaka and Hodaka-parts. inc, They have supported you over the years and they are experts on Hodaka,s Sorry. the computer has its own mind. Bruce
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Bruce, if you're reffering to me as a Hodaka expert, you don't know me well. I get my knowledge from Paul who is a walking encyclopedia of things Hodaka. As to used parts, Paul has tons (literally), and is always looking to move them along . I was recently at Paul's looking for a part he didn't have, he handed me his phone and a list of other suppliers and told me to call around till I found what I needed. Which I did after 4 calls. Most helpful guy.
---

Post by --- »

Folks selling Hodaka parts on eBay are no different really from others selling old used parts to whatever it might be. Most often, they don't know what they have, they would not know or care if it is still usable, and they use whatever name or word that they think will attract buyers when describing the part. So virtually any part for sale came from a Combat Wombat because that's the only name they remember, or a part might be described as suitable for every Hodaka made when we know that's not true.

But this is no different than Kawasaki parts or Chevy parts. You can't believe most of what you read. Even the bike dismantlers sometimes get the ID wrong, even when they had the whole bike in front of them including frame and engine numbers. Particularly with internal motor parts, the source for the parts is very often stated incorrectly. They either don't know or don't care if a crankshaft or transmission gear came out of an Ace 100 or a Road Toad. For a lot of these guys, every Hodaka was a Road Toad because the name stuck in their head, or if they don't know what it came out of, it is sure to be a Wombat part.

Just be sure you know what you are looking for, and never trust what you read to be completely accurate.
GMc
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

It's like going to a swapmeet, you have to know more than the guy selling.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Yes Paul and others are expert. Its a buyer beware world out there. I too like to get an eyes on items before I buy, after what happened to me and others please be very careful of the anyone selling items on the web including myself. I make mistakes but there are those selling out there like was said they used description of an item from memory, not knowledge. Please use the sources that experts like Paul, Max, Ed and real Hodaka people whom have been in the Hodaka world for many years for reference. Please use them as a first choice, I think Paul is the holy grail of the Hodaka World, if he does not have it he will tell you whom might. I know personally, I have been sent many a customer when he does not have a used part, in stock. He is very interested first to make sure the buyer gets what he wants. Dan I think would do the same thing. All I was saying be careful. Bruce
z1kzonly

Post by z1kzonly »

WOW! What great responses! I had no idea of the camaraderie amongst you Guys! Like I said, I only have 11 items items. 10 are road toad. 1 was questionable, which I stated. I am not buying anything. I did my dirtbikes in the early 1970's. I did learn a new website I was unaware of. (Thanks). But I have taken pride in my eBay sales over 15 years. 100% feedback with over 1000 transactions. I always cleaned and restored most of my items. Not to solicit myself, but same nick name on here as I use with ebay.
But Thank You all for your time and input, I will not bug you guys anymore. I appreciate all the info so far!
As with anything Old School, there's nothing like it, just running or pristine restorations! There is Art and Beauty in all of them!
Thanks again! Can I show you my 1975 HD FLH? Owned for 35 yrs. & my current KZ Kawi project? and a "Duck Bird" mini.
Marty from Buffalo, NY
KILN AND MINI BIKE 001 (2).JPG
HF TABLE.jpg
flh-2.jpg
flh-1.jpg