Fuel Delivery Problem

Posts from the Old Strictly Hodaka Forum.
Forum rules
Saved posts from former Strictly Hodaka Forum. Read-Only section for reference purposes.
admin
Site Admin

Fuel Delivery Problem

Post by admin »

KWight - 10/05/06 at 10:13pm

While playing with my new bike I ran the engine with old fuel in the tank. It stalled out on me and wouldn't restart. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned out all the jets and passages, but cannot get it to restart. It has good spark and compression, but the fuel doesn't seem to be getting to the cylinder.
Any tips for troubleshooting/fixing this?
It is a 1976 Hodaka 03 Wombat.
Thanks,
Kevin

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Forum Admin - 10/06/06 at 8:11am

Kevin if you do not already have one I would suggest an inline fuel filter for your bike. When you rebuilt or cleaned the carb did you take the pilot jet out and also clean and inspect that ?? This is the little jet that needs to be removed by a small flat head screwdriver. I do not gamble but would bet that your pilot jet is clogged. I hope this helps.
Paul

___________________________________________________________________________________________

thrownchain - 10/06/06 at 9:00am

Are you getting fuel to the carb?? Start at the petcock and clean the whole system top to bottom. And by all means put in that filter.

KWight - 10/06/06 at 11:20am

Paul,
Is the pilot jet the one inside the float bowl? There is a screw that is as you described inside a cast iron sleeve inside the float bowl that I took out and cleaned last night. I was able to get air through it but no dice on getting this fixed yet. Maybe I will do a complete tear down and soak the whole thing in carb cleaner. I already replaced the inline fuel filter.
The carb is getting gas to it from the tank, I will try taking the plug off the bottom to make sure there is gas inside the float bowl.
Thanks for the help thus far.
Kevin

KWight - 10/07/06 at 11:19am

Thanks for your help. I did a complete tear down last night and as far as I can tell, it was the inlet valve for the float.
It runs really well now with the clean gas and everything.
Kevin

END OF THREAD