old man going north

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

Re: old man going north

Post by matt glascock »

Dang! They are as cure as they are destructive.
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

My dad used to release his trapped raccoons on the other side of the highway. He said if they can make it back across the highway without getting killed they deserve to eat in his garden.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That's a very charitable outlook. Perchance, did you live along the 405 freeway?
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

The Old Man sez the trap is un-sprung this morning. Well yay! Calm for a while I hope! Actually we have forty acres of habitat and only the trouble makers are removed. Part of the deal I tell the wife who is not sympathetic to the scene! We should box up a few and send to Clarence I suppose. Always a funny joke when these guys arrive. Just an idea.

Maxie
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Maybe you already know this, but I would want to know whether Clarence is a 'live and let live' or a ''get even' or a ''get ahead' kind of a guy. Cause if he decided to "get ahead" of a prank like this, you might not live far enough away. ;)
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I'll see Clarence in a few days, maybe I'll just go with the wind-up mice thing. 8-)

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well, I finally got to meet Clarence at Hodaka Days. True to form he wore a disguise and spoke with a squeaky voice. We laughed and hooted as one would expect. I checked out Clarence's cool personal bike that he lets the Old Man ride when he goes North. We did meet his wonderful daughter who was with him to keep him under control to no avail. He did give me this Hair Grower, he said, to try. The people at the airport said it tested for explosives so I did get it back to Ed Chesnut for safe keeping. Hopefully Ed will not use all of it and I can try it on my next trip out. The Old Man was there somewhere and even rode the Bad Rock. Tipped over once, breaking a lever, and had to change six spark plugs the word is. Happens to the best of us I suppose. Well that's the report unless Clarence has a different version. Even though I missed the Old Man at Hodaka Days he'll probably be coming through on his journey South soon. Still one side of the house to paint, we might get this project done one of these years. Later.

Maxie
Attachments
Explosive tested Hair Grower.
Explosive tested Hair Grower.
S4010366.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 5380 times
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Seventeen degrees this morning, zucchini frozen like a rock. The Old Man departed South yesterday to stay below the freeze line as he always does. He did borrow my paint brushes or at least they are missing. I won't be needing them before Spring. Reporting.

Maxie
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

It was good to see him this summer! He even attended hodaka days . He is very spry for the age but has slowed down allot. I could keep up but generally a day behind. On the serious side I should have drinking concentrated zucchini juice after the surgery but I drank cranberry juice, It all but killed me. My I&R went to 4.3 and should be 2.2. Then given vitamin K I&R went to 1.1 so I was sent home on stomach shots. I am working on the second recovery going slow. I tell you all of this just to share the importance and knowledge that cranberry juice thins the blood and if you are on blood thinner it really thins the blood. Everyone wants to here the story of the two black eyes. Looking forward to getting in the shop and finishing Minnesota Steve's engine E engine then Robs 125 Wombat and then Neil Flemming's super rat. --------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Clarence my friend, Get well soon! Have you tried any of that "MAX" stuff. It doesn't grow hair at least on me but it does cure some ills. They say. Sometimes. Maybe.

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Clarence! The Old Man passed through here a couple of days ago heading North he said. The grasshoppers are just hatching in Kansas and I sent him out to gather some samples for you. These are just hatched juveniles as you can tell by their wings but adults can grow to over 5 pounds. That's what he said anyway. Personally we've never seen one bigger than 4 pounds. He does exaggerate a bit, humor him. He does have some okra and zucchini seeds for you, hope it's not too late. Green starting here, bugs and frogs even. He should be there in a few days.....Maxie
Attachments
Juvenile Kansas grasshopper.
Juvenile Kansas grasshopper.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow! Old Man Going North. Clarence started it. Was just a bystander. 37,785 views as of today.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Have I tried any of the MAX stuff. Yes and hardly any thanks The doctor said to try ER - MAX Mucus Relief I do not know your kick back but it is too much. I waited for the old man half of the winter, he put the snow shovels somewhere and I could never figure out where. I hope his fingers are still nimble enough to thread a nut on a bolt. I should give him an old Super Rat this year just to see what he can still do with one. My big truck is stuck in the field, I will have to pull it out with the 545 Fiat loader. I do hope he calls so I clean up the plant room for him. Is he finally using his meds or does he still feed them to the ducks on the pond. I hope he can share a new story as we have been hearing the same ones for years. Looking forward to his arrival. ------------Clarence
Last edited by taber hodaka on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Too funny!
mac

Post by mac »

Found a photo of the old man in his youth on a grasshopper hunt.
Attachments
92F951A3-50E0-4436-9A1B-B4D69C421740.jpeg
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

They were known to eat a bushel of corn and start three families in one afternoon. Bigger ones were encountered but usually when no camera was present. They were hard to kill because they would look you right in the eye. ----------------------------Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Too funny Mac, you win on this subject, Haha!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I saw the Old Man sneaking around in our woods yesterday. He never announces his April arrival during Morel mushroom season. He always slips in early and gets all of the good ones, then comes in to say hello. Ha, too late, Eweleen and I had massacerd a bunch just hours before and we ain't telling'. Maybe he'll find a few stragglers and share, haha. Don't tell. Here's a shot of one on the hoof that I can show him if he needs an ID. Hope he doesn't stay for pork chops and Morels tonight. Maybe we won't answer the doorbell. Hey Clarence, any of these in your woods? These are better than zucchini by quite a shot. Maxie
Attachments
Live view on the hoof.
Live view on the hoof.
The massacree.
The massacree.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

This is too weird and Clarence has some explaining to do. The Old Man stopped by yesterday to see the many Kansas prairie flowers blooming on the property. The Old Man is a wealth of useless information on all subjects. We found this guy blooming in our prairie and the Old Man identified the plant, seriously, as Amsonia tabernaemontana. How'd that happen? Probably an link to Clarence's lost past as a botonist or worse. OK, let's hear the story on this one. I can't wait! Maxie
Attachments
Amsonia tabernaemontana.
Amsonia tabernaemontana.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

It does seem that an old family story ought to come from Clarence about the official name of that plant - - I mean it has "taber" AND "montana" in the name. Gotta be a story there!

Is anyone surprised that the Morel's are better than zucchini? Morel's ARE classified as food. Zucchini's are classified as mulch. (That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

How ironic, Maxie. I never knew the taxonomic name. We just call those "blue stars". Rare way up here in Ioway, but they do pop up from time to time.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Well many years before Clarence wrote the Tabers Medical Dictionary a generation before. Hershal, Amseronia, and son clarence were on their way to Montana. They planned to stop and see Horace Taber, his son, Maxie and daughter Baby Doe. On the prairie of Kansas the land without fences they camped on the prairie that stretched for miles. Late in the evening the lead horse, Turp was making a little noise, Hershal went to see and there was Turp naeing over some wildflower. He picked it and took it back to Amseronia, upon her asking what it was called, he said it was a Ameronia TabernaeMontana. The next day they went on their way for a normal day and arrived that night at Horace,s. The next day Hershal told Horace about the wildflower and Horace being in the Kansas legislature and all, said he could introduce it by said name and it would remain forever. Clarence and Maxie had a lot of fun mostly stuffing dried grass down the back of each others pants. Well once in Montana with the new frontier and all, the flower was forever forgotten. The only thing I was told, that I think I remember was that Horace lived in Taber Valley. My big sister is smart and she knows everything I will ask her and update this with fact. Remember this is only a faint memory of what I think, was told to me. -------------------------- Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Sounds reasonable to me. I think. Maybe. :shock:
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Well the big sister is mad, She says I make her look bad my spelling, vocabulary, spelling, using the same word twice. She states I should diagram my sentence's?? and I needed to correct the parts that are fact. Which are Horace had changed his last name to Tabor to be politically correct. Baby Doe was not Horace's daughter she was his second wife, Horace's first wife Augusta was Maxie's mother. The year was 1855 and Horace was elected to the Free Soil Legislature establishing legislation for the Territorial Government. They moved to Colorado and became rich in the gold fields Much more but this is all you get on this one. Maxie can you check any of this for Fact??------Clarence
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:lol: